Discuss Upside Down UK Plug Socket - Is This Normal/Ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Grimers

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just recently moved into a renovated house in the UK where a desk is quite high, so the plug socket above it has had to be put in upside down! Other than a bad case of OCD, is this normal/ok?

Please see attached photo.

1698068265572.png

Cheers,

Will

Thank you for your quick replies, all. Probably is best to just leave it as apparently trying to move it up and then fix the wall afterwards may look even worse! I will message the electrician we know and see what he says (he put the electrics in and is very good). Cheers!

It's going to look a bit crap with the wires coming out of the top in a loop. But that's just aesthetics.

If it really is setting your OCD off into hyper-drive , you could get the sparks to blank off the socket and cut in a new sockets directly above thus avoiding haveing to spend a hour trying to patch any damage attempting to move the old socket up 2 inches

If it really is setting your OCD off into hyper-drive , you could get the sparks to blank off the socket and cut in a new sockets directly above thus avoiding haveing to spend a hour trying to patch any damage attempting to move the old socket up 2 inches
Another crazy idea : M2 grid frame, 2 USB charger modules, and a spur down to socket(s) under the desk.

Great idea, snowhead. That would save blanking, moving and/or replacing. Appreciate everyone else’s thoughts, too. Would the bottom sit on the desk with the back on the wall?

Yep, it was bought from Howdens and their desk heights are higher than the standard (not sure on the complete details as someone else dealt with it). We worked out the height of the socket assuming standard height, but no they didn’t tell us that the one they provided was higher! We probably should have confirmed, but it was too late once we had painted ready for the desk to be installed…

By the way, there are plenty of sockets below the desk, so we can always use a cable hole and drop the cables down below it if it's a problem, but was just wondering if there was an easy solution to fix this (maybe snowhead's idea is the way to go). Has anyone else come across/installed sockets this way round before?

Cheap and cheerfull option, turn the socket the right way around,
then use one (or 2) of the below, it has to have the plug low down and side sockets sideways, not all do have.
This one is from Toolstation.

13 a adapter.PNG

If keeping the socket upside down, I recommended putting something under it to catch the electricity that falls out.
No need to. It'll just form a puddle on the top of the desk. If the desk wasn't there then I agree that you would need something to catch it. I would use a plastic takeaway container. Don't use one of the foil ones as you could get a shock if you didn't ground it before emptying.

No need to. It'll just form a puddle on the top of the desk. If the desk wasn't there then I agree that you would need something to catch it. I would use a plastic takeaway container. Don't use one of the foil ones as you could get a shock if you didn't ground it before emptying.

Foil containers should be grounded anyway. Surprised you aren't aware of that. :)

Reply to Upside Down UK Plug Socket - Is This Normal/Ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net