Discuss Upstairs lighting gone off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M1kbee

DIY
Reaction score
All of my upstairs lights have stopped working.

All of the plug sockets both up and downstairs are working and the downstairs lights are fine.

The consumer unit seems to take what look like cartridges roughly 1" x 2.5" / 25mm x 65mm with coloured dots on them.
White - 5amp
Blue - 15amp
Red - 30amp

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Have you checked both fuses are intact, the 2 white fuses would suggest upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits

Replacement fuse Wylex 5A Cartridge Fuse - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wylex-5a-cartridge-fuse/63771
There's the thing, the fuses don't look like that (unless I'm being a tool and that's what's inside those plug in boxes).

You can try swapping the two 5A fuses. If it was a one-off fault like a failing lamp you will find the upstairs work and downstairs no longer. If the fault is still present then unfortunately you will have no lights and two blown fuses!

EDIT Make very sure the power is switched off before you remove or insert any fuses!

If there is no change then probably a wiring fault needing professional help.

If it is one-off due to a failed lamp, etc, then just a new fuse like @UNG has pointed you to.

Have you checked both fuses are intact, the 2 white fuses would suggest upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits

Replacement fuse Wylex 5A Cartridge Fuse - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wylex-5a-cartridge-fuse/63771
Let us know!

A photo can help if any more questions on what you need.

Again, make sure you switch the main power switch off BEFORE changing fuses.
20220418_164151.jpg

As above, there should be a length of fine fuse wire linking the two brass pins, going through the ceramic middle section.

If the fuse has blown that wire will be missing (or maybe two halves with ends showing solidified molten metal). Replacement is fairly easy if you have the correct wire (you can usually buy cards with 5/15/30A wire on them) and a small flat-blade screwdriver to loosen the screws that hold the wire in place.

PS, once you've sorted out your blown fuses, afraid to say a new fuseboard upgrade might be recommended. Just saying
Or the plug-in Wylex breakers instead of the fuses as a least-worst option if a new CU (consumer unit = fuse box) is unaffordable.

No, they are not as good as a new board with RCD/RCBO, and the possibility of the new CU coming with other faults being fixed, but they sure beat having to change wire in the dark, working out which one has gone, or the risk of inserting a fuse on the a live fault.

We have not long since moved in so there's a few things that need doing.

The lack of lighting became a priority when it went out.

I remembered on my way out that it's a bank holiday and most places are shut.
I'll try tomorrow.

Reply to Upstairs lighting gone off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net