Discuss Utterly confused to courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm renovating my house and want to move switches, double up on sockets, expand a few and move the lights. In the future, I might decide to do a few small domestic jobs (pretty much the same) if I enjoy it.

I've been looking at courses, all promising all kinds of things to all kinds of people, and they are completely confusing.

From what I gather to certify my own work, I think I need the 17th edition and part P? I'm not making significant changes and don't plan to!

Is there anything else I need to think about?

Thankyou for any help!

you don't"need" part pee. it's not a qualification, although some of these short course providers will tell you it is. i'ts a set of building regulations that you have to comply with, and notification of work only applies to :
1. new circuits.
2. work in bathrooms (or other special locations where the presence of water makes the environment more hazardous).
3. new consumer units.
4. underfloor heating.

there's nothing to stop you carrying out alterations in your own home, provided that you are competent to do so. no paper qualification can replace experience and competence. of course, to comply with BS7671, you should be able to test and certify your work, but i can't see a DIYer spending several hundred quid on test equipment and the training asoociated with being able to use it.

Hi everyone

I'm renovating my house and want to move switches, double up on sockets, expand a few and move the lights. In the future, I might decide to do a few small domestic jobs (pretty much the same) if I enjoy it.

I've been looking at courses, all promising all kinds of things to all kinds of people, and they are completely confusing.

From what I gather to certify my own work, I think I need the 17th edition and part P? I'm not making significant changes and don't plan to!

Is there anything else I need to think about?

Thankyou for any help!
If you're going that route mate you will need test equipment which aint cheap, plus if you aim to notify your LBC that will cost as well if you aren't registered with a CP Scheme, that's expensive as well.

Thankyou everyone for your replies!

I have one light in the bathroom that is directly above the bath, I'm planning on moving this away as it's in a ridiculous and dangerous place, and putting it in the centre of the bathroom instead, am I allowed to do that without any issue?

I have one light in the bathroom that is directly above the bath, I'm planning on moving this away as it's in a ridiculous and dangerous place, and putting it in the centre of the bathroom instead, am I allowed to do that without any issue?
nothing to stop you doing minor alterations in you own home. just follow safe isolation procedures.i.e. isolate circuit at Consumer Unit. don't just turn the light switch off. bear in mind that you may have a fan connected there, so photo the connections before taking apart.

Thankyou for clarifying that, I always switch everything off at the consumer unit as I generally don't trust anything done by others

I worked out early many years ago when replacing lights to take a photo, and mark each wire. The worst house had an old braided type, at that point I walked away and made a phone call to a professional

Are your bathroom electrics covered by an RCD Residual Current Device? electrical work in a bathroom is work in a special location. And you need to be mindful of the Zonal requirements in Bathrooms.

Are your bathroom electrics covered by an RCD Residual Current Device? electrical work in a bathroom is work in a special location.

Ummmm I have absolutely no idea, I'll check the consumer unit, when I moved in, the consumer unit was an old bakelite black 'orrible thing and I got that ripped out straight away for something nice by a spark, if I can't see a separate circuit for it, I'll get a spark in - the light I want to move about 2ft away in to the centre of the bathroom. I don't even know how it was even allowed to be fitted there in the first place

Liverpool is on my patch. watch out there's a diddy man about.

beautiful place, Liverpool. we have concrete dales and a brown river, you'll feel right at home.

To be an electrician, and therefore considered competent to do electrical work, you need an NVQ level 3 in electrical installation.

The 'confusing' part comes about when people try to deviate from that in search of a bespoke qualification which will allow concessions such as not charging for the work, only working on one property or only doing work on weekends. Surely it stands to reason that if you are capable of safely doing electrical work on your own home at the weekend for free then you could do it anywhere, any time, wearing a tradesman costume and having arrived there in a van with your name on it?

I got that ripped out straight away for something nice by a spark, if I can't see a separate circuit for it, I'll get a spark in - the light I want to move about 2ft away in to the centre of the bathroom. I don't even know how it was even allowed to be fitted there in the first place

If the electrician who fitted the consumer unit didn’t comment on the bathroom light when he carried out the inspection and testing then I can’t see why it would be dangerous.
Is there anything noted on the certificate you received after having it done?

If the electrician who fitted the consumer unit didn’t comment on the bathroom light when he carried out the inspection and testing then I can’t see why it would be dangerous.
Is there anything noted on the certificate you received after having it done?

No not a thing, he did all kinds of testing in the house, he was here for about a day and a half, his cabling is spot on. He gave certificates and submitted to the authorities what he had done

Reply to Utterly confused to courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net