Discuss Varlight V-Pro trailing LED dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Anyone else had problem with these?

I've taken two from the wholesalers today and having an absolute "Mere" with them. Basically they won't dim at all. They are fine working as an on off switch but no dimming.The instructions of use just aren't helping me out. I've followed them to a T and nothing.

First one did come on and was dimming (sort of with flickering) then just stopped. I have 9 5w dimmable Downlights. Can't get my head round it at all.

Anyone had the same problem?

They are dimmable. I've even had them on standard GU10 halogen and nothing.

The dimmers are programmable and have 3 modes so I'm assuming they are in a certain mode. No matter how many times I go through the manufacturers instructions on how to reset or change mode I'm getting nothing.

They are generally my dimmer of choice when I am not sure if I can dim something as they are very forgiving.
They should if I remember rightly flash a few times once they have changed mode, there is also I think a way of resetting them and this may be a good idea to try if they are not functioning.
There is a lot of "Off on off on" to do the get there but they are normally very responsive.
If they really are not working then I would get them replaced and try again.
The default mode is trailing edge and it can be changed to leading edge, but trailing edge often works.

I've used quite a few, the only problem I've encountered (a few times) is them accidentally going into programming mode due to switching off/on too quickly, then having the settings messed up. I think they step up/down in brightness when in programming mode (I warn customers about this, otherwise they have no idea what is happening).

It would be pretty unlucky to have two bad ones in succession, and I wonder is there some issue with the particular LEDs you have not working with these dimmers?

If you have used them on some halogen GU10's and they are still not working then, like Richard says, I think its likely to be with the programming of them. Although when I had to dim 9 LED's I used the same model that you have mentioned and it worked fine. Unless you start playing around with the programming it should be in the correct mode to start with.

It sounds like you are getting really flustered with all the instructions, and I must admit I was pleased when they all dimmed when switched on as the instructions are a bit of a pickle.... press for 2 seconds, wait for 7 flashes then press for 4.6 seconds, wait for a 2 slow flashes then dance round the kitchen 3 times!

If all else fails try one of these 2 options:

1. Try the other trailing edge dimmer from LEDhut LED Dimmer Switch - 1 Gang 2 Way - White

2. Ring varilight and ask them to talk you through it Varilight Technical Support

Reply to Varlight V-Pro trailing LED dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net