Discuss Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Today I saw a swa 2.5mm run from a consumer unit to a garage shed about 45m (eyeballed it) from a 16amp breaker....

to a double socket then a fused spur to a led light fixture. Voltage drop would be :

15X16X45/1000
=10.8volts

which complies but I guess its pretty close with power circuits being 5 %, but as it has a light on it shouldn't it have been with in 3%?

What is the voltage rating of the LED light fitting?
3% is a generic figure applied in the absence of specific data for the lighting installed.
In this situation you can look at the voltage eating of the specific light and establish what the maximum allowable voltage drop for it would be. I expect it will be fine with a 5% drop.

OP have you physical tested the voltage at the garage ? I would be surprised if it’s below the usual 230-240 range...

In practice the true volt drop will depend on the actual load drawn from the double socket, the light itself will have a negligible effect.

Agreed as above in the absence of more specific data, but from a design perspective 3% is the target for a lighting circuit.

Today I saw a swa 2.5mm run from a consumer unit to a garage shed about 45m (eyeballed it) from a 16amp breaker....

to a double socket then a fused spur to a led light fixture. Voltage drop would be :

15X16X45/1000
=10.8volts

which complies but I guess its pretty close with power circuits being 5 %, but as it has a light on it shouldn't it have been with in 3%?
perhaps you should put a voltage regulator

Something else to consider ...
Some, but definitely not all, LED fittings (or rather the SMPS inside) are multi-voltage - will run on anything from something like 90V to 260V. For U0 of 240V, that's a heck of a lot of volt drop before it's affected o_O For a lamp holder you couldn't use that justification, but for a permanently wired fitting it could be reasonable. For others, they might not be multi-voltage, but will still provide constant light output over a significant range.
Lets face it, the regs were drawn up in the days when a small change in voltage would make a significant difference to the light put out by an incandescent lamp.

Reply to Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock