Discuss Wagobox-Light Wiring Conundrum in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently removed a single fluorescent tube fitting for a customer who wants it replaced with a Class I circular 3-spot unit in a back room on their small commercial premises. The wiring to the original fitting comprised a live feed, switch drop to a twin switch and onward feed to a second single fluorescent tube fitting in the same room. I opened up the second fitting to confirm that it was fed from the first. There was no other wiring apparent so I have not yet checked the purpose of the second switch. I did not have any Wagoboxes with me at the time and only a handful of Wago 224-112 2-wire lever connectors so as a temporary measure, having removed the original fitting, I reconnected the wiring in connector blocks to await my return.

Unfortunately I cannot rewire the original configuration because the cable entry in the new light fitting is only ~ 8 mm in diameter and the fitting appears to be intended to be connected L-PE-N using a switched live given the small opening size of the connector block. In addition, the combination of: the pitch of the fixing holes and position of the cable entry into the base of the light fitting, and the position of the joist into which 2 fixing screws will go mean that the solution must use the Wagobox-Light.

I am considering 2, in my mind equally valid, options and would appreciate opinion as to whether anyone would prefer one approach above another. The first option that I considered was to recreate the original configuration using Wago connectors in a Wagobox-Light but with a second switched live feed required by the new light fitting. This would require 4 T+CPC (T+E) cables and 4 connections:

- 2-way connection for live feed from supply to switch.

- 3-way connection for switched live from switch to 2 light fittings.

- 3-way connection for neutral feed from supply to 2 light fittings.

- 4-way connection to common the 4 cable CPCs.

Having looked at the size of the Wagobox-Light and that of their 222, 224 and 773 series connectors there appear to me be 4 alternative arrangements that will fit in the box and provide the required connections. They comprise:

- Combination of 3 x 222 and 1 x 773 Series connectors - 222-412, 222-413, 222-413 and 773-104.

- 224 Series connectors only - 224-101, 224-112, 224-112 and 2 interlinked 224-112.

- Combination of 3 x 224 and 1 x 773 Series connectors - 224-101, 224-112, 224-112 and 773-104.

- 773 Series connectors only - 773-102, 773-104, 773-104 and 773-104.

The second option is to use 1 Wagobox-Light to create a switched live feed and then another to split that feed to the 2 fittings. The first Wagobox-Light would require 3 T+CPC (T+E) cables and 4 connections:

- 2-way connection for live feed from supply to switch.

- 2-way connection for switched live from switch to second Wagobox-Light.

- 2-way connection for neutral feed from supply to second Wagobox-Light.

- 3-way connection to common the 3 cable CPCs.

Having looked at the size of the Wagobox-Light and that of their 222, 224 and 773 series connectors and 260 series modular terminal blocks there appear to me be 4 alternative arrangements that will fit in the box and provide the required connections. They comprise:

- Combination of 3 x 222 and 1 x 773 Series connectors - 222-412, 222-412, 222-412 and 773-104.

- 224 Series connectors only - 224-101, 224-101, 224-101 and 224-112.

- 773 Series connectors only - 773-102, 773-102, 773-102 and 773-104.

- MTB 2604 Wagobox-Light Modular Terminal Block L1+L+N+E.

The second Wagobox-Light would require 3 T+CPC (T+E) cables and 3 connections:

- 3-way connection to split switched live from first Wagobox-Light to 2 light fittings.

- 3-way connection to split neutral feed from first Wagobox-Light to 2 light fittings.

- 3-way connection to common the 3 cable CPCs.

There appear to me be 4 alternative arrangements that will fit in the box and provide the required connections, comprising:

- 222 Series connectors only - 222-413, 222-413 and 222-413.

- 224 Series connectors only - 224-112, 224-112 and 224-112.

- 773 Series connectors only - 773-104, 773-104 and 773-104.

- MTB 2603 Wagobox-Light Modular Terminal Block L+N+E.

Although all of these arrangements could deliver the requirement, and the last 2 arrangements under Option 2 could deliver a switched live feed to a third light fitting, few comply directly with the manufacturer's Product Description for the Wagobox-Light, linked here Wagobox-Light junction box. The stated 'maximum number of supported individual conductors', 12, would meet my requirement under Option 1 and the alternative that is nearest compliance is the use of 224 connectors only; however, this requires a mix of 5, not the stated 'Maximum connector capacity' of either 4 x 224-101 or 4 x 224-112 connectors. In the case of Option 2 alternatives, 2 are compliant with the manufacturer's Product Description, the 224 Series and 260 Modular Terminal Block solutions.

The increase in cost between Option 1 arrangements and their corresponding Option 2 arrangements is between 73 % and 93 %. If the 'tailored' solution of the 260 series Modular Terminal Blocks is used then the price is just over 2 1/2 to just over 3 times the price of Option 1 arrangements.

Which option and alternative arrangement would you choose and why? Would you do something completely different? If so, what would you do?

Last edited:
use a big choc block and double wrap in electrical tape.ram it in the ceiling . that manufacturer's advice a la b&q.

use a big choc block and double wrap in electrical tape.ram it in the ceiling . that manufacturer's advice a la b&q.

Thanks tel, if I wanted to deliver the worst possible "tradesmans'" or Electrical Trainee botch or just a DIY 'knows no better' job then that is what I would have done! Well done; your bait taken ... hook, line and sinker award to tel.

Last edited:
Providing there are no heat (IE the lamps are remote from the fitting) issues you may be able to cut a single deep fastfix box into the ceiling and wire it from there. The lamp base may cover the blanking plate. this will save you from the black tape lol.

My only experience of Wago's was seeing them on conductors in a socket box,removing them with contempt,then re making the connection that they were supposed to be making correctly

I haven't studied your options in detail. However...

You don't have to stick to a Wagobox-light; you could use a standard one, which is slightly bigger.

If I'm tight for space, I use the compact 2273 series connectors for all connections and maybe add 224 connectors if I need to connect to fine stranded cable to supply the light. If you can run a piece of solid core into the light, then use 2273 only.

On lighting stuff I don't worry about number of cables or connections in the box unless it's very heavily loaded, which would be unusual.

I haven't studied your options in detail. However...

You don't have to stick to a Wagobox-light; you could use a standard one, which is slightly bigger.

If I'm tight for space, I use the compact 2273 series connectors for all connections and maybe add 224 connectors if I need to connect to fine stranded cable to supply the light. If you can run a piece of solid core into the light, then use 2273 only.

On lighting stuff I don't worry about number of cables or connections in the box unless it's very heavily loaded, which would be unusual.

Thanks HS, I only wish a few more would be as helpful. Unfortunately I think that I will need to stick to the smaller dimensions of the Wagobox-Light in this case. Given other discussions recently, I am left a little concerned that Wagobox have only certified their product as MF with certain limited combinations of Wago connectors. I bought the Wagobox Expert Kit which does not include the smaller 2273 connectors.

Last edited:

Reply to Wagobox-Light Wiring Conundrum in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net