Discuss Wall switch electric shock when wiped down in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jess5112

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, apologies if this is a daft question to ask but would really appreciate some advice.
I wiped a light wall switch in the hall with an anti-bac wipe (dettol kind, so fair amount of wetness from the wipe unlike the cheap kind that can be fairly dry). When I wiped it, I accidentally flicked the switch on, light came on and I switched it back off. The wall switch covering was definitely wet, not in the sense that I’d chucked a bucket of water over it but it definitely was wet to touch. I didn’t realise until I walked away that the light wasn’t going off properly. It was flickering and staying on. Zero problems with it until this happened. When I tried switching it on/off again I got a tiny electric shock - or what I assumed to be electric shock, though it’s a plastic covered wall switch. I left it for about an hour and tried again, the light switched on and off as normal.
Should I be concerned about this and get an electrician to look at it? I’m worried I’ve wrecked the wall switch and even though it’s functioning normal it could still have a fault. Or do you think I’ve just been a bit daft and wiping down a switch without drying it before switching on, and somehow the excess water from the wipe had caused this and all is fine now it’s dry and operating normally?
I have an RCD fuse box and it did not circuit during this.

thank you so much for any advice in advance!

I have seen it before where water ingress into a wall switch has damaged it so that it partly bridges when in the open position, hence the flickering you witnessed.

It may be that it dried out and is not damaged but it would probably be a good idea to get it replaced at some point, although it may not be urgent right now. Keep an eye on it.

The RCD would not necessarily be expected to operate if the fault was just within the switch mechanism itself.

I have seen it before where water ingress into a wall switch has damaged it so that it partly bridges when in the open position, hence the flickering you witnessed.

It may be that it dried out and is not damaged but it would probably be a good idea to get it replaced at some point, although it may not be urgent right now. Keep an eye on it.

The RCD would not necessarily be expected to operate if the fault was just within the switch mechanism itself.

Thank you for your reply! Ok, sounds like I can probably leave it just now and keep an eye on it. I’ll definitely get it replaced just didn’t know if I should be urgently calling out an electrician or whether it had just sorted itself out. There is no flickering now, not even a little bit. Do you reckon it’s been a static shock rather than electric shock seen as it’s a plastic covered switch? Literally just happened once, when I touched it again it didn’t give another shock.

you would probably have got some conductivity through the cleaning fluid. not enough to cause injury, but enough to feel it. as said by andy, just keep an eye on it. no more shocks, and the light working as it should, would suggest that it's OK.

you would probably have got some conductivity through the cleaning fluid. not enough to cause injury, but enough to feel it. as said by andy, just keep an eye on it. no more shocks, and the light working as it should, would suggest that it's OK.

thank you! I was just trying to be hygienic, what a dafty - caused myself about 3 hours worth of worry ever since it’s happened! As you’ve probably guessed - I’m a bit clueless with this sort of thing!

thank you! I was just trying to be hygienic, what a dafty - caused myself about 3 hours worth of worry ever since it’s happened! As you’ve probably guessed - I’m a bit clueless with this sort of thing!

Not clueless at all. You've sought professional guidance with a legitimate concern.

That's quite clued up as many people would do something more clueless like ignore hazards completely or attempt to poke about in things with no idea.

Normally I would use a damp cloth that was wetted with some cleaner then rung out until it is not dripping so only just damp enough to clean the surface but without squeezing water out when pressed against stuff.

If the light is the LED sort they will glow with very little power indeed, and you can feel a shock at levels well below the trip point of any protective RCD. Chances are the switch is fine now it is dry, but if you suspect it is not right then get it replaced when practical.

Thank you so much. You’ve all been really helpful and put my mind at rest! I’ll definitely get it replaced in the not too distant future. It’s never given any issues before this and with everything going on just now I just didn’t want to declare a state of emergency if it’s not. Lesson learned to not use a soaked wet wipe in future! Done it in haste without really thinking. It’s still continuing to work as normal now, definitely no shocks or flickering. Its an LED light as someone mentioned but I didn’t give that a thought tbh as it normally goes completely out.

You can sometimes get a static shock from the fixing screws, but that doesn’t cause the lights to flicker.

Actually it’s the person that generates the static... and gets earthed by touching the screws... so the screws are getting a shock from you.... not other way round.

On a side note.... you can buy white plastic switches that are antimicrobial that prohibit the build up of germs on the surface. For use in hospitals.

Reply to Wall switch electric shock when wiped down in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net