Discuss Wandering lead for domestic testing in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Would you recommend buying a ready-made reel such as the ETL30 or should I get some green-sleeved single? If so, what csa should it be, can you buy a 30m reel of single, or is 50m a better length? And would the single come on a suitable/usable reel?

Just get a reel of single. It doesn't matter what CSA it is as it should not be carrying any amperage, so you may as well just go for 1mm.

If you want a 'proper' reel you can gut a cheapo extension lead and put your single in there.

I had a reel. Loved it. My best tool.

Then my dad nicked it and i refuse to buy another. So now i have a use for all the drums of singles in my garage. :rolleyes:

As long as you zero it, it's the same thing.

Yep, a couple of fixed lengths of singles and measure the resistance of them and note it on the cable, job done!

Why not null / zero the meter with the wander lead connected saves time subtracting figures as the reading on the meter will be the one to go on the cert

Last edited:
Why not null / zero the meter with the wander lead connected saves time subtracting figures as the reading on the meter will be the one to go on the cert

I've had trouble with kewtech and fluke meters where the auto null option doesn't work reliably (have to admit my megger seems fine though). So just down to personal choice :)

got mine from a boot sale ...perfect condition ..... asked the woman selling it ... "what is that thing " ... dunno she said ... found it in her husbands van .... how much asks I .... dunno .... hows a fiver sound ... bit steep says I..... we setteld on £3

bet the old man was pleased :eek:)

Last edited:
I have to voice up here. I bought one of the proper Kewtech 50m wander leads and I'm very happy I did - I use it regularly for fault finding, identifying conductors and earth continuity checks. Personally I think it was money well spent as 50m of good fine-strand flexible cable is not cheap anyway and I could not imagine using single core. It would get tangled, tripped over, and be a right pain to use. This one rolls in and out like a salamander's tongue.

I have to voice up here. I bought one of the proper Kewtech 50m wander leads and I'm very happy I did - I use it regularly for fault finding, identifying conductors and earth continuity checks. Personally I think it was money well spent as 50m of good fine-strand flexible cable is not cheap anyway and I could not imagine using single core. It would get tangled, tripped over, and be a right pain to use. This one rolls in and out like a salamander's tongue.

So is 50m about right for domestics? Am trying to decide between 30m and 50m. Am thinking 50m would be too long most of the time but on the odd occasion it might just be needed. How often do you use the full length?

This is a public forum :D

Better to buy the 50m in case you do need it eh!

The extra 20m of cable on the reel makes no difference really to the size/weight so well worth having in case. I scoured the internet, I ended up buying mine here Kewtech ACC50MTL Test Lead Extension Reel - Janico Online look at the price! Delivery very reasonable, superb next day service, plus I bought some other kewtech goodies as they were a bargain, including KewProve proving unit with voltage tester unit for £62... which I upgraded to the kewvolt 2 to get extra low voltage readings...

low ohm test at the fuse board across PN&E check for inter connection then connect out P&E at sockets. resistance should be about double of phase and neutral ring tests at the board as a general rule ( obviously an abridged version of the test but you should get my meaning )

Reply to Wandering lead for domestic testing in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net