Discuss What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Having spoke to NICEIC and Elecsa last month at Elex all they wanted was 2382 and between 1 and 3 jobs to look at (plus payment).
I personally think this is an absolute joke!
You should have at least a level 3 and 2382 at least to be able to join a scheme.

I'm old-school and everything seems to be the wrong way round these days. It used to be that a qualification was merely the 'ticket' that confirmed that the holder had the studied the theory in applying the skills they had acquired over several years working in the real word on real jobs alongside and under the direct supervision of an experienced mentor.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it now seems that skill is no longer the main requirement, and in essence, anyone can call themselves 'a qualified electrician' by sitting a 90 minute multiple choice 'open textbook' exam and getting a slightly higher score than would be expected by giving random answers.
And this is OK?

I'm old-school and everything seems to be the wrong way round these days. It used to be that a qualification was merely the 'ticket' that confirmed that the holder had the studied the theory in applying the skills they had acquired over several years working in the real word on real jobs alongside and under the direct supervision of an experienced mentor.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it now seems that skill is no longer the main requirement, and in essence, anyone can call themselves 'a qualified electrician' by sitting a 90 minute multiple choice 'open textbook' exam and getting a slightly higher score than would be expected by giving random answers.
And this is OK?

I would tend to agree even though I am probably one of the people acquiring qualifications backwards although I don't intend to finish qualifications and band myself about as a qualified electrician! In my opinion, nobody is qualified without having done the job with a time served mentor, such as the apprenticeship scheme and even then there is still a lot to learn, I will personally be looking to get what I consider the base qualifications then hopefully get a job assisting someone who has experience and moving forward from there, I freely admit it will be hard work for me personally as the apprenticeship scheme really isn't going to work for me due to my age, that's not a moan, just a fact of life people want to take on youngsters for apprenticeships.

Maybe the new 15-18 day courses award an NVQ 3 at the end. I suspect that there may be "alternatives" which can be substituted for the actual qualification itself. Not that I'm cynical at all....

I think you are right but, I think these courses are dangerous however, there is no way anyone can grasp fully what being an Electrician is all about from a course like that and I can only imagine what the tutors tell people on these courses what they can do with their cornflake packet qualifications.

Went into a new electrical wholesalers today, just to give him my card, see what he stocks etc.. He informs me that he sells a lot to plumbers, along with "electricians" who by their own admission don't even own test gear, but they know how to wire the circuits....
I was shocked to be honest.

it's like the offie flogging booze and smokes to 14 year olds.

one day this country'll get it right - and then we'll have kitchen fitters loitering outside the wholesalers, asking us to go inside and buy 'em a packet of bw cable glands.

it's like the offie flogging booze and smokes to 14 year olds.

one day this country'll get it right - and then we'll have kitchen fitters loitering outside the wholesalers, asking us to go inside and buy 'em a packet of bw cable glands.

i can just picture it now, the sparks reply

" of course, for a small favour round the back... We'll start with a story, tell me a story"

All new members have to be qualified to NVQ3 now along with the 2382 to join a scheme.
More self-employed joining a saturated market....joy.

Never wanted a post on this forum to be true as much as this one.

I've taken myself away from the educational system / courses because it frustrates me...so hopefully some brighter news guitarist, it'll be welcomed by the vast majority of the industry. Unlike the Electrical Trainee the NVQL3 has to actually be achieved with commitment and dedication to the trade.

Hello all.

Gentleman come one... What's going on here? Have we stopped and think for a while that not ALL of us out there, seeking for qualifications, are after the so wanted certificate and never mind the rest that comes with, I don't know? Experience?

Once I am a fully qualified electrician, and I shall work towards that goal, I will call myself a fully qualified electrician. I apologies if it comes across as arrogant but it will be a fact once I am finished with all the studying.

Now, I would never ever even think to call myself an experienced electrician in comparison to one that has been and done work on the field for 10, 20 and 30 years, absolutely not and they'll have my respect. I would be lucky to work side by side to one.

But like Marc has mentioned, it does not seems like we are going to be luck enough to enroll under the apprenticeship path as these are more prone to be offered to unreliable (not all) teenagers and we all know that a teenager will do any job for next to nothing when it comes to the £ signs.

Us, mature grown up man, with a family to support cannot afford it unless we're on benefits. Now again, I apologize if you guys took Mark's comments as offensive but like myself he's also confused about the whole thing, and so far after so many replies not many were concise with what I was asking. Instead it seems we had people barking at each other.

I understand that you cannot, and will never be, an electrician without the experience that comes from working on the field day in day out but come on guys give us a break.

Regards,
Albert

Ok then, you'll need the C&G, the one you're on? When you're done with that you'll need an NVQ3 and/or AM2. While on the NVQ you'll need to get some practical experience so you can build a portfolio to show what you've worked on.

Hello all.

Gentleman come one... What's going on here? Have we stopped and think for a while that not ALL of us out there, seeking for qualifications, are after the so wanted certificate and never mind the rest that comes with, I don't know? Experience?

Once I am a fully qualified electrician, and I shall work towards that goal, I will call myself a fully qualified electrician. I apologies if it comes across as arrogant but it will be a fact once I am finished with all the studying.

Now, I would never ever even think to call myself an experienced electrician in comparison to one that has been and done work on the field for 10, 20 and 30 years, absolutely not and they'll have my respect. I would be lucky to work side by side to one.

But like Marc has mentioned, it does not seems like we are going to be luck enough to enroll under the apprenticeship path as these are more prone to be offered to unreliable (not all) teenagers and we all know that a teenager will do any job for next to nothing when it comes to the £ signs.

Us, mature grown up man, with a family to support cannot afford it unless we're on benefits. Now again, I apologize if you guys took Mark's comments as offensive but like myself he's also confused about the whole thing, and so far after so many replies not many were concise with what I was asking. Instead it seems we had people barking at each other.

I understand that you cannot, and will never be, an electrician without the experience that comes from working on the field day in day out but come on guys give us a break.

Regards,
Albert

Fully qualified to become an electrician is closer to home, I feel.

How about a couple of screwdrivers - one with a neon lamp in the handle for testing and stirring tea, a pair of sidecutters, a pair of pliers, a pair of spurs, a saddle, a strong horse and a Stetson hat. :)

i don't think you're arrogant, just a little misguided.

what you should be aiming for is competence. the word 'qualified' gets banded-about quite a lot, but in reality, on it's own, it doesn't really mean anything.

of course, it's a good idea to have 'qualifications' as part of the package that proves competency. but along with this, you need experience and practical skills - something that can't be obtained in a classroom.

Ok then, you'll need the C&G, the one you're on? When you're done with that you'll need an NVQ3 and/or AM2. While on the NVQ you'll need to get some practical experience so you can build a portfolio to show what you've worked on.

Many thanks Trev.

Now the problem we are having, correct me Marc if I am wrong, the college is saying we cannot get an NVQ unless we enroll on an apprenticeship. And if this is the case, then at our age we are stuck in a dead end career and spending good money on it. Unless we are employed by the industry and are lucky enough to be selected (unlikely as teenagers are given priority over us in mid 30s) then might as well drop out now and save £3.500 on this level 3.

Please share your thoughts Trev on this.

Regards,
Albert (middle name, sorry but force of habit).

There's a forum sponsor over there ------------------->
XS Training, get in touch with them and they'll tell you what they can do for you.

Reply to What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net