Discuss What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you've no chance of getting an apprenticeship at your age.

get in touch with XS training - they've got some nvq places left. you'll find their details in the list of sponsors on this site.

edit: tornado trev beat me to it!!

Hello all.

Gentleman come one... What's going on here? Have we stopped and think for a while that not ALL of us out there, seeking for qualifications, are after the so wanted certificate and never mind the rest that comes with, I don't know? Experience?

Once I am a fully qualified electrician, and I shall work towards that goal, I will call myself a fully qualified electrician. I apologies if it comes across as arrogant but it will be a fact once I am finished with all the studying.

Now, I would never ever even think to call myself an experienced electrician in comparison to one that has been and done work on the field for 10, 20 and 30 years, absolutely not and they'll have my respect. I would be lucky to work side by side to one.

But like Marc has mentioned, it does not seems like we are going to be luck enough to enroll under the apprenticeship path as these are more prone to be offered to unreliable (not all) teenagers and we all know that a teenager will do any job for next to nothing when it comes to the £ signs.

Us, mature grown up man, with a family to support cannot afford it unless we're on benefits. Now again, I apologize if you guys took Mark's comments as offensive but like myself he's also confused about the whole thing, and so far after so many replies not many were concise with what I was asking. Instead it seems we had people barking at each other.

I understand that you cannot, and will never be, an electrician without the experience that comes from working on the field day in day out but come on guys give us a break.

Regards,
Albert

Well said Albert, nice to see someone on this forum is sticking up for those guys who actually are mature and intelligent enough to understand the limitations of an intensive electrical course and do them not necessarily wanting to be a fully qualified electrician. I agree with many forum members, the way in which the intensive courses are advertised is shockingly misleading and for a change of career probably not the best way to start. However there are plenty of us out there using what we have learned to carry out domestic electrical works correctly & safely. I am one of the much berated "Domestic Electrical Installers" registered with ELECSA and legally allowed to install, test, inspect and certify my own domestic electrical works but have never thought of myself or pretended to be an electrician. I am competent but there are plenty of Electricians Defence League members that would still see me shot!

Sorry to sound cynical, but we've heard it all before on here.
Guys come on here saying "I just want to get qualified enough so that I can work alongside an experienced electrician and I definitely won't be working on my own until I'm confident that I can do all the work to a high standard in a few years." A few weeks later, the same guys say "Just about to rewire a massive house from scratch and don't know how to go about it. Can you all help me please? Also, don't knock me, I have a wife and family to support!"
Sorry, but fed up of hearing it and also following behind these people.

Really long thread, its probably been metnioned, but first thing pops into my head, besides qualifications, would surley be experience and competency. Anyway, carry on...

The trouble with forums is they are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Trev, I hold in high esteem, he’s earned it. Not just from me but many members.

You on the other hand have nothing to offer as far as I can see. You may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Tony....we`v been over this...it must be a thousand times....
just caus some of these young buck chimps have pulled a cable or three in....and connected up the odd load which actually worked first time out.....they think they`v arrived......
what they want is a good smacked arse....

Tony....we`v been over this...it must be a thousand times....
just caus some of these young buck chimps have pulled a cable or three in....and connected up the odd load which actually worked first time out.....they think they`v arrived......
what they want is a good smacked arse....

Hey Glen mate ............

I've just finished a complete rewire of my mate's place ......

D'ye fancy doing the cert for it?

There'll be a pint or three in it for ye.

Sorry to sound cynical, but we've heard it all before on here.
Guys come on here saying "I just want to get qualified enough so that I can work alongside an experienced electrician and I definitely won't be working on my own until I'm confident that I can do all the work to a high standard in a few years." A few weeks later, the same guys say "Just about to rewire a massive house from scratch and don't know how to go about it. Can you all help me please? Also, don't knock me, I have a wife and family to support!"
Sorry, but fed up of hearing it and also following behind these people.

I don't think you sound cynical as the guys you are referring obviously are misguided, dangerous and shouldn't be anywhere near electrical works. Unfortunately the majority of forum members tar us all with the same brush and refuse to believe any good can come from attending a four week course. I've been in the building trade for the past 27 years as a carpenter/builder and without trying to sound big headed know a fair bit about house building. Over the years i have altered a few sockets here and there without thinking too much of the consequences, whats wrong with wanting to be able to do this safely and to the current regs? Please explain why I should get a fully qualified electrician in to do this for me?

Hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to apologize, as it might seem like I am asking an all to similar questions that has been asked here endlessly. Please rest assured, I have read a big deal of those but, sadly, I am still in the dark.

Secondly, can anybody please let me know what certifications I need to be able to start working (self employed) as an electrician. I need the very basic to get me started and then anything else will follow suit.

I have asked the college tutors and not even them are sure as to the path one must take. I have completed a Commercial and Electrical installations Level 2 C&G which took me a year and have now enrolled on Level 3.

According to my tutors I will be qualified to work as self employed once I have completed my Level 3. They even said I can already work doing some minor jobs as long as I register myself with a body like ECA provided that I meet their criteria which is to be enrolled on a level 3 course and successfully passed it within it's time frame, in this case 2 years.

It seems that this is a bit confusing as to register with ECA they require to have some of my latest works assessed but I can't do those same jobs because I am not yet registered with them???? Confusing and sounds like catch 22 swings and roundabouts.

The course I have done is the one
HTML:
http://www.lowestoft.ac.uk/college-courses/construction-and-trades/electrical-installation-level-2.aspx

Please advise as I am utterly confused with all the information out there.

Regards,
Albert
thats nothing short of pathetic...

- - - Updated - - -

I've been in the building trade for the past 27 years as a carpenter/builder and without trying to sound big headed know a fair bit about house building. Over the years i have altered a few sockets here and there without thinking too much of the consequences, whats wrong with wanting to be able to do this safely and to the current regs? Please explain why I should get a fully qualified electrician in to do this for me?
I've been in the game 34 years since I started my time and have knocked a fair few nails in over the years. Now tell me why I should get a proper joiner in to build my new roof structure.

i don't think you're arrogant, just a little misguided.

what you should be aiming for is competence. the word 'qualified' gets banded-about quite a lot, but in reality, on it's own, it doesn't really mean anything.

of course, it's a good idea to have 'qualifications' as part of the package that proves competency. but along with this, you need experience and practical skills - something that can't be obtained in a classroom.

Shagbite;

Correct me if I am wrong but to be competent you still need to be given the chance to do some real life work. Without it, I doubt anyone will ever be competent at any industry.

Reply to What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net