Discuss What is the order of supply at the intake position? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have this question and I've had afew different people say different things to me, could you please help
[automerge]1600967855[/automerge]
I have posted this question on afew different websites and these are what people have said to me
Cut-out, meter, isolation, distribution, final circuits
Meter, isolation, distribution, final circuits
Meter, distribution, final circuits, protection
Cut-out, protection, meter, isolation, distribution

I have this question and I've had afew different people say different things to me, could you please help
[automerge]1600967855[/automerge]
I have posted this question on afew different websites and these are what people have said to me
Meter, isolation, distribution, final circuits
Meter, distribution, final circuits, protection
Cut-out, protection, meter, isolation, distribution
OK, cut out to meter (protection so far is DNO fuse), then maybe isolation, then to DB which then splits to final circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
More or less.

The cut-out has the DNO fuse, mostly to protect their network. With the DNO consent you can use to to protect any long supply cables to the DB, but usually you would fit a fused-switch for long tails so it is under your control and no need to spend pointless hours trying to get the DNO to approve anything.

Isolation might be a dedicated switch as some DNO fit, it might be a fused-switch if you are using long tails (generally over 3m to the DB), or it might (also) be the incomer switch or delay-RCD in the DB. There must always be a means of isolation that an ordinary person can use. Having it separate from the DB makes any DB changes a lot easier!

If by "distribution" you mean the DB/CU then that is both the means of splitting the supply up (the busbar feeding MCB/RCBOs) and the principle means of protecting the final circuits from faults and generally also from overload.
[automerge]1601138050[/automerge]
Of course, some loads also have over-current protection by means of fuses. The 13A plugs being the obvious one, but also FCU used for some fixed loads.

Most (reputable) electronics usually has some internal fusing as well, but that is not always able to interrupt the sort of PFC you might get and so the recommended maximum supply fuse is also needed.

Last edited:

Reply to What is the order of supply at the intake position? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net