Discuss what maths level in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.
I was wondering how much importance is placed on Maths when training to become an Electrician. Its something I have often considered but have always been put off because maths is not my strong point.
Please advise
Thank you

Anything below HNC, is just basic maths , nothing to worry about.
When you go to higher levels of education, HNC, HND & beyond, it can start getting a bit heavy duty.

If you're designing for domestic or gentle commercial/industrial, elementary maths will do.

Things have changed over the years and much content has since been removed from the old 2360 which has made the 2330 a lot easier to digest. It used to be for the first two years maths and physics was to an O level standard moving on to A level in the final years but going by my last apprentice at college it is no harder than gcse level but more tuned scope.
In saying that we work with calculations most of the time hence why we tend to stare blankly at the ceiling when drinking tea :) but most calcs tend to be going over the same maths each time.
My understanding is the courses are set out to weedle people out that struggle and get progressively harder or you could just do a part pee courses and as long as you put todays date on the form your in !

There is a bit of maths involved - your time at college will be split into practical, installation technology (regs) and science (maths). The kind of maths you'll be expected to do includes trigonometry and formulae, for things like working out power factor, size of cable etc.
Once you've passed the exams you probably won't ever use most of it again.

I'd say a C grade at old GCSE/O level would be fine,new GCSE probably an A grade as aside from actually giving you the answers they couldn't make it much easier!!!
As you get to later level stuff in the OND (if that's what your studying) then it can be tough but the Internet is your friend.
We did 1st year degree level maths in my last year as an apprentice as a sub-module and that was just ???????? to me.
My college maths teacher detested me so much he gave me notes to revise for a test I failed the first time then a past paper and on the eve of the exam asked me for a copy of the test paper to check I wasn't revising the wrong thing then told me the paper he was giving me was really similar to the one I was revising off and changed it completely,it didn't even include the same topics!!!!
I just scraped through by 0.5% average throughout the year thank god!!!
He effectively held my pay back for a year by constantly putting the test off,nice guy.
Still,he was a Cardiff fan and I'm a jack so that did explain a lot!!

Basic is to be able to transpose formula to what you need.

W = V * A
V = W / A
A = W / V
And so on.

Formula can be shunted around to suit your needs. You just need the basic formula.

Next is square and square root. Other than that it’s + or -.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit when it comes to “from table XX calculate YY given factors ZZ”. I struggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be a proper sparkie you will need basic maths and physics to something akin to level 2.
To be an Astrophysicist you need something else, probably at a higher level.
To be a Merchant Banker you'll need a pretty robust right hand coupled with the ability to apply statistics
There are those, of course, who are happy to be metal munchers and cable monkeys under stringent supervision, no doubt.

But seriously, a good inspirational teacher will do the job if you are having difficulties....

Reply to what maths level in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net