Search the forum,

Discuss What's a ''GOOD'' 3KW package for a roof system?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Engineer54

A good friend in Cyprus has contacted me today about roof PV installations. I don't know if any of you heard about the total cock-up the Cyp's made by storing high explosives right next to the main power station of Cyprus. ...Well it is no-more, ...and there is going to be a good many power outages for a good many months and for the foreseeable future.

Basically he's asking what will he need for roughly a 3KW system. So can anyone here provide him with a material parts list, using ''Good/Proven'' units such as for the PV panels, Inverter, Roof Frames, etc etc ...And what sort of total cost for these materials would be!! Obviously he would like the system to look after the house essentials, during power outages, like the mains water Pressurization pump, Fridge, Freezer, etc!! While at other times feeding back into the supply, as they have a similar buy back system in Cyprus like the UK.

There may even be a form business opportunity, as he is also thinking about supplying the same sort of system arrangement to others. But wants to know if it works on his own home first, and what sort of costing would be involved.
He's not a total novice with PV installations. He has a large installation on his rental showroom roof that is rated at 6 KW+!! But was installed badly, and also had a few problems with it tripping out virtually every day. That's sorted now, it hasn't tripped once since i corrected the protection devices.

But that's the problem he has, being sold, budget rubbish equipment at premium equipment prices, and then having the whole lot thrown together
in a package that they want a small fortune to install...

Anyway.... i'd be very grateful if you PV/ MCS people could steer him in the right direction, as far as what suitable good quality equipment/materials to use etc, in the first instance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he will need a hybrid system, that is capable of both grid connect and stand-alone battery operation. This adds considerably to the expense.

Grid-tied systems do not operate at all without the grid supply.

You will also need to work out a power plan and outage duration in order to size the battery bank to provide optimum power. The SMA inverters have an inbuilt relay that can switch circuits on and off given preset parameters, one option is battery charging, however you will also need a charge controller and DC to AC Inverter and some means of switching from Grid to Battery power (whether automatic or manual)

http://www.ibc-solar.de/en/pressedetail+M5bed184c386.html excellent solution, but not cheap (family car priced)

Last edited by a moderator:
Graeme,
Thing is by the sound of it a family car price may pale into insignificance in the big scheme of things out there at the moment if you can keep a business and household going!

Will need to check that the local supply can take this extra power, from my experience in middle east they are not geared up to take more than a 2.1 system. batteries would seem a must if business is to survive loss of mains.

Reply to What's a ''GOOD'' 3KW package for a roof system?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net