Discuss Which RCD to use for EV charging point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't know if they are offered in the UK/ROI but this is what I remember seeing:
Interesting. Haven't personally come across them. I'm sure the price is scary.

This one looks perfect :)

As suggested I shall just blank off the spare way and explain to my friend that it is not to be used.

I fit loads of chargers. You don't need to be olev approved to install them. Only if you want to offer the £350 grant do you need that. It's just changed, now we can fit any olev approved charger not just ones we have manufacturers approval for.
If the charger has in built 6maDC protection then you need a Type A RCD or RCBO. Can't recall if the tesla unit has this?
Cheapest source of type a rcbos is ironically Rolec. The new RCBOs seem better than the old blue ones which melted!
Not a fan of the tesla wall charger. Find it quite poorly built and flimsy. Also has a huge hole in bottom you need a 32mm gland for as the supplied plugs are often poorly made and undersized. On the positive you can link 4 together to share load easily.
Best options for easy install is the zappi. It only needs a MCB upfront as all the RCD and DC monitoring and earth monitoring is in the charger and needs no earth rod.
[automerge]1600028112[/automerge]

As suggested I shall just blank off the spare way and explain to my friend that it is not to be used.
Have used these and very good. Perfect for the job.

I fit loads of chargers. You don't need to be olev approved to install them. Only if you want to offer the £350 grant do you need that. It's just changed, now we can fit any olev approved charger not just ones we have manufacturers approval for.
If the charger has in built 6maDC protection then you need a Type A RCD or RCBO. Can't recall if the tesla unit has this?
Cheapest source of type a rcbos is ironically Rolec. The new RCBOs seem better than the old blue ones which melted!
Not a fan of the tesla wall charger. Find it quite poorly built and flimsy. Also has a huge hole in bottom you need a 32mm gland for as the supplied plugs are often poorly made and undersized. On the positive you can link 4 together to share load easily.
Best options for easy install is the zappi. It only needs a MCB upfront as all the RCD and DC monitoring and earth monitoring is in the charger and needs no earth rod.
[automerge]1600028112[/automerge]

Have used these and very good. Perfect for the job.
Thanks for all, it was very useful :)
With regards the unit I have linked in my last post, the RCD takes up 4 modules and has 415V written on it. It states single phase but looks like 3 phase. is it single phase and if so why all the extra positions for conductors (as if it was 3 phase)?

Thanks for all, it was very useful :)
With regards the unit I have linked in my last post, the RCD takes up 4 modules and has 415V written on it. It states single phase but looks like 3 phase. is it single phase and if so why all the extra positions for conductors (as if it was 3 phase)?
Not sure why but some type b RCDs are 3 module. That supplier do good double pole RCDs. Give them a call.

Sorry, I just realised you posted two. For clarity it is the EV Chargers Direct ones I've used (and would recommend) - not the Chint ones.

As @Gavin John Hyde says, host get the customer a Zappi. Much better product. Straight forward top install, Has everything inside for protection and is set up for supplying back to the grid as and when that happens

As @Gavin John Hyde says, host get the customer a Zappi. Much better product. Straight forward top install, Has everything inside for protection and is set up for supplying back to the grid as and when that happens
I agree Richy, however his Tesla car and charger are arriving in a few days and I expect the Tesla charger is part of the deal.

I agree Richy, however his Tesla car and charger are arriving in a few days and I expect the Tesla charger is part of the deal.
One of my customers was offered a free Tesla charger with his model s as part of some deal with leasing company. he took it and had it fitted via their installers. I then took it down and fitted the Zappi for him, Tesla unit since sold on ebay! he says the 2 dont compare for him as he has solar, and the full myenergi set up to link hot water, ev charging.

Reply to Which RCD to use for EV charging point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock