Discuss Which trips first? ... there's only one way to find out ... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Addlight

There must be larger hole in my knowledge than I appreciated, as I can't get my head around why both the mcb and rcd should trip on short to earth. :confused:

Situation was wasa taking quick peek into a live double socket to check which way ring ran out the back of the dry wall box. About to push it back when thought - I know, I'll just check the terminals are nice and tight first...

Somehow, shorted live to the socket earth strap. Still don't know how, as I was using proper VDE driver with insulation to within couple of mil of tip, and terminal connector deep and well shielded.

Anyhow - VDE screwdriver, MCB and the RCD (17th ed CU) all did their jobs - just a flash and a slightly shorter screwdriver tip...

What I don't get is why the MCB tripped - or more precisely, had time to trip. Assuming the 30mA 63A RCD in the CU is within spec, it should see the L-N imbalance in around 18mS. So wouldn't it kill the power before the MCB could trip - ~ 18 mS being shorter than 0.4 seconds?

What am I missing or misunderstanding here please ...

charachteristics of protective device/time curve,loop impedence must be very low i imagine,which is why it tripped at nearly same time,0.4 or 400ms if u like is the maximum,so look up bs7671 current/time as said and that will show u,unless im wrong,if so i need correcting aswell.

Dont worry about it mate.....as long as something tripped:D.....As for safe isolation??....who hasn't done it??....usually at five to five on a friday afternoon:eek:

Thanks for that - I actually had been starring at the performance charts for some time (table 3A on p. 243 for RCD and Fig 3.4 on p.249 for the B type) before posting, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know.

The PFC is way higher than 100A shown for a 20A breaker. Small print refers to manufacturer's data ... so that'll be my next port of call ...

Reply to Which trips first? ... there's only one way to find out ... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net