Search the forum,

Discuss wholesalers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
how do you guys know your wholsalers are giving you the best deal they can for your continued use of them as supplier.

any tricks and tips are appreciated..

I tend to play one against the other...get a quote for gear from one then take it to the other and tell them to beat the prices if they want the business. I tend to share the business out between all the retailers for that reason.

Ask them if you get a prompt payment discount on your account. I get 2.5% of my total spend off every month from one of my suppliers!

Its all very well beating the prices down BUT its also about the costs of getting there in fuel and your time, plus the additional paperwork you are creating using multiple suppliers.

If you're in the position where you can use 2 or 3 locally just make sure that they ALL know you shop around and the balls in their court.

Final point, if you don't ask you don't get.

The wholesalers I use aren't always the cheapest, it's more about convenience. I would get a quote and then add on your bit to the end user.
Also the wholesaler will give you a month or so to pay so you can get paid for the job before you need to pay the bill.
You will always find things cheaper online if you're prepared to trawl through the vast array of pages.

With the wholesaler I now use, and have done since last October, I always place any orders through the area rep. This way he makes sure that my discounts are always applied, plus he knows that if he gives me good prices, I'll keep using them and his monthly sales figures will keep his boss happy.

For sockets and switches, I use Click and have a up to date spreadsheet with prices and discounts listed. As for small size T&E cable they never beat Screwfix for price or quality but for all SWA, SY and other cables they are always on the ball. If they are slightly more expensive, its not worth ringing round other places then chasing for their prices when they don't get back to you.

Also they will always drop any stuff off for you too.

il write up a few prices now see what you think.

20mm gromits 3.00
t&e clips 1.20
earth clamp 38p
20A water heater switch 2.25
mcbs 2.25 (hager)
rcd double socket 17.00
1.5mm t&e 34.00
2.5mm 46.00

Reply to wholesalers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net