Discuss Why oh why are they so small?!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You can get 2 x 1mm cables in most dimmers , 1.5 is tight but can usually squeeze 2 in most makes if the wire is nice and straight and not all mangled

You can get 2 x 1mm cables in most dimmers , 1.5 is tight but can usually squeeze 2 in most makes if the wire is nice and straight and not all mangled
Agree, 2 way switching, 3 plated at the switch.... its already a squeeze with your neutrals wagod up in the back box, I just don't understand why they are so small in comparison to a regular switch, i guess they are mounted on pcb's or something but surely we've designed our way out of trickier situations?!!

Those terminals belong on a pcb, and are only really good for small flex or really small single core… smaller than what we would normally use.

Can have the same on extractor fans.

It can’t be beyond the manufacturers to give us proper terminals.

It can’t be beyond the manufacturers to give us proper terminals.
It isn't, it's just cheaper to make smaller terminals. Cheaper to manufacture = more profit. There is nothing else to these issues. Many light fittings now don't come with earth terminals, or somewhere to park cpcs. The only reason is it is more profitable for the manufacturer not to include one.

It isn't, it's just cheaper to make smaller terminals. Cheaper to manufacture = more profit. There is nothing else to these issues. Many light fittings now don't come with earth terminals, or somewhere to park cpcs. The only reason is it is more profitable for the manufacturer not to include one.
So why are some switches now coming with a neutral parking terminal? That’s spending money on an extra terminal that’s not needed as we all carry connector block or wagos

I didn't say all!
Neither did I.

It comes down to bad design, and not realising what we have to put up with on the job.
It’s a bit of a chore near finishing a job and the customer presents a Next or IKEA light fitting… that’s you stuck for an hour trying to put it up!

it's because whoever designs these fixtures has been to uni. and done a design course, but don't know a screwdriver from his arse.
Correct. I remember absolutely nothing from my fancy business studies degree many years ago, apart from lots girlfriends and lots of beer.

Reply to Why oh why are they so small?!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net