Discuss wiring for 2 way and porch light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a hallway with 2 lights, both these lights are controled by a switch upstairs and a switch downstairs -2 way.

The downstairs switch also contains another switch for the outside porch light.

The switchs were the wrong way round (the one closest to the front door controlled the hallway and visa versa - not a problem just annoying) and I thought a could simply switch them round.

However I messed it up. I have managed to get the 2 way switch working but it also turns on the porch light at the same time so I have something wired up wrong but I have tried every possible configuration and followed some logic but I just cant get it right.

There are 3 cables of wires - connected up like the images attached and a little red one that was connected across 2 points but I'm not sure where now.

I realise this follows no logic and I must be powering the porch light with the hallway light but everytime I change it round the 2 way doesn't work.

Any help would be great, thanks

wiring.jpg

IMG_3361.JPG

Hi,

I have a hallway with 2 lights, both these lights are controled by a switch upstairs and a switch downstairs -2 way.

The downstairs switch also contains another switch for the outside porch light.

The switchs were the wrong way round (the one closest to the front door controlled the hallway and visa versa - not a problem just annoying) and I thought a could simply switch them round.

However I messed it up. I have managed to get the 2 way switch working but it also turns on the porch light at the same time so I have something wired up wrong but I have tried every possible configuration and followed some logic but I just cant get it right.

There are 3 cables of wires - connected up like the images attached and a little red one that was connected across 2 points but I'm not sure where now.

I realise this follows no logic and I must be powering the porch light with the hallway light but everytime I change it round the 2 way doesn't work.

Any help would be great, thanks

View attachment 39619

View attachment 39620
Time for you to call a Sparky Mate.

Agree with post #2.

Did you take any before pictures?

Also that Dry Lining Box looks like it could be in trouble when it comes to securing the switch plate back to it

OP, you should have just taken the switch off the wall, rotated it by 180 degrees and then moved the cable nearest the front door from L1 to L2 or vice versa.

No help but a comment
"The switches were the wrong way round (the one closest to the front door controlled the hallway and visa versa - not a problem just annoying"
- I had this discussion with a friend of mine this week - in my "logic" the switch closest to the door should be to the outside porch light, in his opinion when entering in the dark he wanted the first switch to provide illumination ....... :rolleyes:

The only real way to find out what's what is to isolate and start again, bell the cables out to find out what goes where. :/

I would add,that with seven "ends" and six terminals,gives a mathematical number of probabilities,which exceeds the stamina of any terminal screw :)

Oh dear who would have known the r would be so important lol

You have to know your "r's",or at least,your elbows...or is it the difference?...i get confused,and am paying the price,for a childhood spent with no internet,two journalist parents,and only three board games,two of which were Scrabble :)

Reply to wiring for 2 way and porch light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net