Discuss Wiring Outside Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sarah Powell

Hi,

Hoping one of you super clever people can help me please - the idea seemed straight forward to me but apparently not!

I have outside lights connected to a sensor connected to a light switch in the house, I would like three switching options 'OFF' 'ON' and 'AUTO'.
When switched to 'AUTO' the sensor would be in charge, it's the type that keeps the lights on at low level from dusk until dawn raising the light level when it senses motion.

Thank you
Sarah

3 core cable between sensor and light switch, (neutral, live, switched live).
one cable go from switch to light
use a center off (on/off/on) switch to select if you want to feed the light with permanent live or switched live from the sensor.
if you cant get center off switch then standard 2gang 2way, one gang for on-off operation and another one to choose live or switched live.

Sarah, if you post your location, one of us may be close to you. it's quite a simple job.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies - I'm in Doncaster.
The switches that I have in the house are VL power grid and the only three point type I can find is a 10amp 2 way & off retractive - would that work?
Thanks

Think the switch is spring return to the off position mate. You need a stay-put switch.

Great items though. Do they not do a stay-put?

Edit: I didn't post quick enough....

Last edited:
You lot are such typical blokes!!!

If that same post had been sent by a guy It would have been... "Are you an electrician, Electrical Trainee chancer... THIS IS NOT THE DIY SECTION"

But as its the lovely 'Sarah'.. It's.. "oh here you go ma'am have a seat, how can we help you, here are your choice of switches"!!

It does make me smile :smile5:

I hope you find what you are looking for Sarah.

Last edited:
You lot are such typical blokes!!!

If that same post had been sent by a guy It would have been... "Are you an electrician, Electrical Trainee chancer... THIS IS NOT THE DIY SECTION"

But as its the lovely 'Sarah'.. It's.. "oh here you go ma'am have a seat, how can we help you, here are your choice of switches"!!

It does make me smile :smile5:

I hope you find what you are looking for Sarah.
Get TC on it..........he'll make her smile :yes:......and proper muxed ip...

I must be ill, I’ve given HHD a like. What he says is true, it’s the same reaction every time a female shows up.

Just remember Pink Handcuffs……… :tt1:

Reply to Wiring Outside Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net