Discuss Zero to hero bashing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There always seems to be a lot of people bashing those that complete a career change later in life by completing some short courses. Today I came across the cabling in the picture whilst completing a rewire and as you can see terrible standards have been around a while and can only presume this work work was completed by a time served god

I don't think anyone should be "bashed" for changing their career at anytime in their life. But your argument is unfair towards the experienced trades-person.

Whether a person is time served qualified or a 5 week wonder has no bearing on their personal capabilities, I've seen good and bad from both. But a time served trades person, in general, has far more experience and can be taught far more over a longer period of time.

The bottom line is, you can't teach somebody everything in a short period of time. You can't teach experience and the greatest lessons come from experience.

Who would you trust the most if you fell ill?

A doctor who had studied medicine over a long period of time and had actual long term work experience alongside established professionals.
Or someone who is probably capable, but only had studied on a short course in the basics of medicine, with no actual long term on the job experience?
Both may well be equally capable, but who would you trust your life with?

OP, I can't see how you could possibly know whether it was done by an electrician or it was a DIY job by the householder.

Exactly, presumptions and assumptions have been made. Not the sort of mindset associated with a properly trained individual adept at logical processes such as fault finding. Must be a zero to hero trait.
:tongueclosed:

Alas, the era of them JB'S , no part p, no notifiable jobs to building control, no scams (unless you wanted to join), no Electrical Trainee, bring them times back.!!! Anyway could be worse choc blocks everywhere. lol

Alas, the era of them JB'S , no part p, no notifiable jobs to building control, no scams (unless you wanted to join), no Electrical Trainee, bring them times back.!!! Anyway could be worse choc blocks everywhere. lol
There were no 'scams' or 'schemes'....full stop. If you were NICEIC or ECA it meant something....not that there weren't good and well qualified electricians, besides. Unfortunately, those times are long gone.
Mind you, so have the vir days with the porcelain screw cons, I hope. Used to see old houses littered with them.
Capping and casing was an art, though.

There were no 'scams' or 'schemes'....full stop. If you were NICEIC or ECA it meant something....not that there weren't good and well qualified electricians, besides. Unfortunately, those times are long gone.
Mind you, so have the vir days with the porcelain screw cons, I hope. Used to see old houses littered with them.
Capping and casing was an art, though.
Stop will you, I'm getting all nostalgic. Wooden back boxes, JBs under the floor, proper terminals, none of these Wagos, but they are one thing that progress has given us, buckle clips, clipping hammers, now where are the tissues?

Stop will you, I'm getting all nostalgic. Wooden back boxes, JBs under the floor, proper terminals, none of these Wagos, but they are one thing that progress has given us, buckle clips, clipping hammers, now where are the tissues?
You'll be back to hand rawling and wooden plugs, next.
Sadly, I've just had to replace another old brass stop/start button unit on a machine. The replacement won't last 60 years+, for sure.

You'll be back to hand rawling and wooden plugs, next.
Sadly, I've just had to replace another old brass stop/start button unit on a machine. The replacement won't last 60 years+, for sure.
Ah wooden plugs, bet they don't teach those methods on the Electrical Trainee course, should be a section on, how to fix a box to the wall when you have no plastic Rawlplugs. I could teach that lesson no problem, the theory part would be a killer though.

Found this box under a floor this week. Hope it doesn't make you too emotional. Then again I reckon these are before even your time. Tel might remember fitting them though ;)

2018-06-11 10.13.52.jpg

Found this box under a floor this week. Hope it doesn't make you too emotional. Then again I reckon these are before even your time. Tel might remember fitting them though ;)

View attachment 42803
Remember replacing them, but not actually installing them, I recall as an Apprentice being told to get shot of all the old stock of Crabtree fittings, isn't hind site a wonderful thing? should have kept some, but had other things on my mind in those days, Beer, Girls etc

No, that was the cooker breaker. The cooker supply cable was floating from the main switch with token red tape on them with the breaker in the on position .

Reply to Zero to hero bashing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net