Discuss 1 way 2 gang switch operating two lights on dimmer, whole flat lighting loop. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matth1372

I have taken out ceiling fans and replaced with chandelier lights wired the same but switch will not work, the l (red) is jumped from L1-L1, and black wire I'm guessing is common, the live goes to first light where I have the three Red cables hooked together, the black from switch goes to brown and red is grouped with blue, the feed goes to next light where there are 2 red and black, and one single Lgrey sheathed. What am I doing wrong? The switch stays on is dim on one side,

I have taken out ceiling fans and replaced with chandelier lights wired the same but switch will not work, the l (red) is jumped from L1-L1, and black wire I'm guessing is common, the live goes to first light where I have the three Red cables hooked together, the black from switch goes to brown and red is grouped with blue, the feed goes to next light where there are 2 red and black, and one single Lgrey sheathed. What am I doing wrong? The switch stays on is dim on one side,

There must be something in the water as this seems to be happening a lot recently! Right first things first, did you make a note on the connections and are you an electrician? If you answered no to either question then employ the services of an experienced spark.

think you must have connected something wrongly. need to ID each cable and work from there.

Matth you have your profile occupation as a handyman with electrical qualification of "OSHA electrical safety, college certificate" whatever that is?

Leaving this in the general forum due to that qual. Please do not do any live testing. Get your continuity tester out and carry out dead tests. Keep yourself safe.

So the OP has a qualification no one has heard of, so its allowed to stay on the main boards? This had DIY written all over it. No sign of any testing or a mention of any experience.

So the OP has a qualification no one has heard of, so its allowed to stay on the main boards? This had DIY written all over it. No sign of any testing or a mention of any experience.

Agree, it had DIY written all over it but when you look a bit deeper in the OP's profile, he has an electrical qualification from college. After a bit of looking, it is an American qualification for people that are not electricians that work near live parts.

This now makes it a DIY question and normal service can resume after more information has been acquired. Thanks for reporting it. Thread closed until it can be moved into the DIY section.

Thanks to all replies, I broke circuit down to each wire and did continuity tests on all, turned out to be a broken wire under sheath. Thanks to all

Yes that is exactly what I did, just worked it the same way as low voltage trouble shooting, without power, and there it was.

thanks for the update. good to know you got it sussed.

Just had one of those days yesterday as we all do sometimes, it's best to walk away and think about it for a bit, then lay out a step by spent test plan.

Reply to 1 way 2 gang switch operating two lights on dimmer, whole flat lighting loop. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net