Discuss 11kw shower cable size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

6mm clipped direct just on the limit, but you'd need a OCPD of 50A, so 6mm is out of the equation. 10mm on a 50AMCB is your only choice.

11kW @ 230V = 47.8A
11kW @ 240V = 45.8A

Whichever way you look at it 6mm² will not be sufficient because the CPD will need to be a 50A MCB as Tel has already stated.

You need to state how the cable is run however, because the environment the cable is installed in dictates how much it is de-rated by, and you could end up with 16mm² if your running it in fully insulated spaces or in an environment subjected to external heating.

more like apocolypse now. wait for the 10kW cooker cable questions.

Guys, what about this kiddy...

Redwing 12kW Shower

Personally I say 16mm² will be sufficient on a 286m run, but the Regs work it out to be a 120mm²...anyone any thoughts...Muhahahahahaha :D
I got asked to install one of those once and his "mate" who was an electrician but out of the country at the time said it could be spurred off the ring :D i couldn't see a problem and i only had 1.5 with me at the time so i used that, do you think it'll be ok? I did change the mcb to a 50A too cos it kept tripping that poxy 32A :D

Some of these showers are turning mental, it's got to get to a point when you can't really heat the water much quicker under standard water pressure?

anyone living next door to the jones's who have a 10kW shower. just plain snobbery.

Christmas day mum has the cooker going full pelt and dad decides to make her a cup of tea and a slice of toast and at the same time daughter steps into the 11kw shower thats when you find out if your 60A DNO fuse will be ok lol

Reply to 11kw shower cable size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net