Discuss 17th Edition - Indy Maint Sparks? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brookster

New gig - seems I now require the 17th edition to do maintenance in an Industrial workplace - past jobs in maint never needed it. Any one know the regs for sure if I need it, I always though I never.
Not complaining right enough :D - will be working on 3 phase gear and some light SCADA and some maint in buildings too. But no installs except for repairs.

I'm just not sure the regs cover anything I work on...If I find a re-wire needs done we would get the (real) sparks in to do it :D
I see your point though, College states as I am 16th I need to re-do the full course 3 days and 4th day test city and guilds done away with the refresher.

aye with the new amendment they scraped the 1day refresher course and now its the full course for you.

And the regs do cover 3phase 'gear'.

Well they might do, im not sure - ive never had to do a regs full course. I'm just thinking, with todays climate that i can see them being tight bas****s and not giving you one. I know that on the new inspection and testing courses which cost more than £330 you don't get given a free GN3 (testing book) so i presume you won't get the regs...

Its the personnel/human resources that don't understand the level of experience and the correct qualifications that are needed to carryout the duties of the the role of an "electrician".

Some years ago I worked as a contractor at a chemical plant and there was an vacancy at the plant for an electrician. The job requirements were the usual spiel, but the qualfications lisred were HND or higher. Non of the electricians or fitters had an HND, and only some had qualifications at all, and most of them were gained in house.

Anyway even if you had the qualifications that were required, you had to sit and pass a basic in house test. Because I was already working there and had a good working relationship with the guys, the superintendant put my name forward to apply for the job. The in house test had actually actually been scrapped and had been changed to a SAT, at the decision of the silly cow who ran the human resources. Non of the maintenance department were actually aware of this, as she was new and this was the first vacancy they had had for a few years.

I sat the SAT, and the level that I got were much lower than the required level that they had set for an electrician? But I was asked if I was a mechanic, as the questions I answered suggested that I was one? After explaining to her that I was indeed an electrician, and wasn't really interested in mechanicing, she told me that there was no way that I was or could be an electrician as I hadn't acheived the level set and I hadn't answered the questions properly.

Anyway, after letting her bang her gums for a few minutes, I told her that I had to get back to work as I was loosing money. Out of interest she asked me where I worked and I told her that I worked on the plant as a sub contract electrician. And she paused and said I couldn't do as I hadn't acheived the required level of the SAT to work as one?

She came into the work shop about a week later, and came to a meeting in the superintendents office, where I was sat within a team along with him, discussing a project. When I asked her about a couple of safety issues that I was concerned about, she went red and wouldn't look at me, but still answered me never the less.

So regarding qualifications, some firms expect a brain surgeon or nuclear physicist with 30 years experience and to be no older than 30, to apply for a canteen ladies job.

Its the personnel/human resources that don't understand the level of experience and the correct qualifications that are needed to carryout the duties of the the role of an "electrician".

Some years ago I worked as a contractor at a chemical plant and there was an vacancy at the plant for an electrician. The job requirements were the usual spiel, but the qualfications lisred were HND or higher. Non of the electricians or fitters had an HND, and only some had qualifications at all, and most of them were gained in house.

Anyway even if you had the qualifications that were required, you had to sit and pass a basic in house test. Because I was already working there and had a good working relationship with the guys, the superintendant put my name forward to apply for the job. The in house test had actually actually been scrapped and had been changed to a SAT, at the decision of the silly cow who ran the human resources. Non of the maintenance department were actually aware of this, as she was new and this was the first vacancy they had had for a few years.

I sat the SAT, and the level that I got were much lower than the required level that they had set for an electrician? But I was asked if I was a mechanic, as the questions I answered suggested that I was one? After explaining to her that I was indeed an electrician, and wasn't really interested in mechanicing, she told me that there was no way that I was or could be an electrician as I hadn't acheived the level set and I hadn't answered the questions properly.

Anyway, after letting her bang her gums for a few minutes, I told her that I had to get back to work as I was loosing money. Out of interest she asked me where I worked and I told her that I worked on the plant as a sub contract electrician. And she paused and said I couldn't do as I hadn't acheived the required level of the SAT to work as one?

She came into the work shop about a week later, and came to a meeting in the superintendents office, where I was sat within a team along with him, discussing a project. When I asked her about a couple of safety issues that I was concerned about, she went red and wouldn't look at me, but still answered me never the less.

So regarding qualifications, some firms expect a brain surgeon or nuclear physicist with 30 years experience and to be no older than 30, to apply for a canteen ladies job.

She sounds like a boot mate

The only requirement to be qualified in regs for maintenance is your employers decision to use it as a way of determining your competence.

I've just done the 17th for the same reason.
It is useful to be familiar with the regs so you can spot non compliance, especially with the quality of some new install that get done nowadays.

I've worked mainly in Ind /Com maintenance for 45 years for 4 different employers, all had mentioned at some point the need to be regs qualified, but untill recently none had not been prepared to pay for it. My current employer has decided we all have to be 17th.

My course was £485 plus vat over 3 days including assessment and you definitely don't get a copy of the regs to take away.

What were the major changes between 16th and 17th? on the industrial side of course. Up grading systems to current regs would be something that would be of interest to my current project.
Though if the install is safe as it is, it is not actually a legal requirement to upgrade it right. I don't wont to be seen as pulling things up to spec when there is not practical issues surrounding it or safety issues.
Please don't reply you should read it yourself ect as I have not done the course yet or bought the book :D.

Whether Industrial, commercial, domestic, petrol stations, testing and inspection, maintenance, it is irrelevant, being a spark with understanding of the regulations at the current level which is now 17th edition Green edition is a must IMO, if your not get on a course and get on with it, I would not employ a 16th edition spark, too many differences, especially regarding special locations and zoning, get down to the local college man before you lose your Job.

Whether Industrial, commercial, domestic, petrol stations, testing and inspection, maintenance, it is irrelevant, being a spark with understanding of the regulations at the current level which is now 17th edition Green edition is a must IMO, if your not get on a course and get on with it, I would not employ a 16th edition spark, too many differences, especially regarding special locations and zoning, get down to the local college man before you lose your Job.

Maybe but I have some pretty good qualifications already :D, I hear ya its getting paid for by the company anyway so it's all good.

Maybe but I have some pretty good qualifications already :D, I hear ya its getting paid for by the company anyway so it's all good.
I don't doubt your very qualified and probably better than 90% of those who have more qualifications, but theres no excuse to sit in the 16th edition bus, get on with it man

Reply to 17th Edition - Indy Maint Sparks? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net