Discuss BS7671 17th edition regs A:3 for 2391-52 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Maybe coming across as a bit of a idiot but I'm looking at getting a copy of the 17th edition BS7671 as a point of reference for what the previous standards were, Ive recently finished my C&G 2365 level 3 diploma. Obviously its early days for me in this industry but I'm trying to get ahead of the curve with regard to getting my 2391 blended cert at some point in the future, having an understanding of previous standards apparently is worthwhile according to DSES on his YouTube channel, is the Yellow A:3 2015 7671 should be looking at getting? or even the 16th ed as well?

Thanks in advance.....for whatever I maybe letting myself open to

From an academic point of view it is interesting, but from a practical point of view you work to the current regs (18th AM2 at the time of writing).

For EICR you still work to the current regs, but coding is based on a realistic assessment of the risks related to former practice like omission of RCDs, etc. The Best Practice guide #4 is a useful reference for this but you will encounter really odd things in your career that need enginering judgment to decide if they satisfactory or not today.

I agree it's not only interesting but helpful to understand the history of how we got to where we have today. I keep previous books for very occasional reference.
I keep a list of a few key dates (which shouldn't be assumed to be accurate!) My scribbled notes read:

1966 - 14th edition brings CPC to lighting circuits
1981 - 15th edition - bond absolutely everything in sight.
1986 - amendment to 15th to remove Voltage Operate Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers
1988/9 - 'safe wiring zones' introduced
1991 - 16th edition - don't bond quite as much
2002 - late 16th edition, bathroom zones are born with 3 zones (later to become 2 in 17th)
2005 - harmonised wiring colours
2008 - RCD's for sockets likely to be used outside

Maybe others want to add to or correct this.

I agree it's not only interesting but helpful to understand the history of how we got to where we have today. I keep previous books for very occasional reference.
I keep a list of a few key dates (which shouldn't be assumed to be accurate!) My scribbled notes read:

1986 - amendment to 15th to remove Voltage Operate Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers
2002 - late 16th edition, bathroom zones are born with 3 zones (later to become 2 in 17th)

2004 - 16th Colour identification for conductors changed in the UK.

2005 - Part P of the Building Regulations

2015 - 17th Non-combustible CU

2018 Afdd, Spd

Really great insight into the history of the regs, Ive noticed on amazon that there is a book by john whitfield (Electricians guide to the wiring regs 16th Ed) is this worth a look as well?

2004 - harmonised wiring colours
2005 - Part P of the Building Regulations
2015 - 17th Non-combustible CU
2018 - Afdd, Spd

Forgot all the name changes for the same things:

Fuse Board = Consumer Unit
Earth = CPC
Earthing and bonding not interchangeable.
Ring main = Final ring circuit.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Last edited:

Reply to BS7671 17th edition regs A:3 for 2391-52 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net