• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss 17th Edition Vs. Electrical Degree ? in the Electricians Looking for Work / Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikat2k2

EF Member
I noticed that in some electrical position employer/contractor asked for
  • 17th Edition
  • City & Guilds
My question is am I eligible to apply for this position with Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering?

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi Saikat, well it's a free country and you can apply for any job. Whether you will be successful is entirely up to your good self and the employer !
The 17th edition mentioned is a formal qualification related to BS7671 amendment 3. This will not have been covered within the BE. Perhaps buy a copy, have read and try to apply it to questions people ask on the Forum?

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yes anyone could apply, whether they get the job is a different thing, with a degree why would you want to work as an Electrician? The C&Gs 17th is supposed to show the employer that the applicant is up to date on the current BS regulations, although if you can read you will probably pass the exam.

marconi

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
I do not think you are eligible because you do not possess either or both of these qualifications. However, your prospective employer may sponsor you to obtain them or you could attend off your own bat a course and take the examinations to earn the certification; you could apply then mentioning this. Even so there is more to being an electrician than the certificate - he/she is as much a skilled craftsman.

eligible
ˈɛlɪdʒɪb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. having the right to do or obtain something; satisfying the appropriate conditions.
With a degree you have other opportunities and fields in which to work.

Risteard

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
I would agree that, with respect, your degree is unlikely to be relevant.

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
I'd think the bachelor degree would be considered to qualify you above the C&G qualification but your lack of qualification on the 17th edition regulations would be a problem.

Does a bachelor degree qualify for a JIB grading maybe? I've honestly no idea about the UK electrical qualifications, they're very confusing.

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
I'd think the bachelor degree would be considered to qualify you above the C&G qualification but your lack of qualification on the 17th edition regulations would be a problem.

Does a bachelor degree qualify for a JIB grading maybe? I've honestly no idea about the UK electrical qualifications, they're very confusing.
JIB don't recognise having a degree.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
JIB don't recognise having a degree.
I agree with them, Rob why would they ? not really much call for a degree in an Electricians role.

Last edited:

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY

Startinez

Trainee

This is what I'd go with. The degree surpasses the C&G qualifications in terms of technicality, but not necessarily relevant material to a hands-on electrician I guess - having not done a degree, I can't be sure. The lack of 17th Edition will be the sticking point.

UKMeterman

Electrician's Arms
Why go and do the hands on if you have a degree, if you do a degree right you can be paid £40K+ a year to be sat on your back side in a warm office all day....

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
The "17th Edition" qualification only shows you can look things up in a book. It does not, in any way, provide competence in electrical installation work.
You can get the "17th Edition" qualification without ever having touched a screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.