Discuss 19th edition....................! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was wondering when the 19th was due to be brought out so I contacted the IET.

I wasn't expecting the reply I got (see attached letter from the IET)

What does everyone think about this?

Attachments

• IET-BS7671.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 94
Actually I understood from the last proposal for comments (which closed a few weeks ago) that since the 18th came out in 2018, the next one wouldn't be the 19th, but would be the 25th in order to match the year. (Thus removing the ammendment 1.. 2..3 process we have now)

So simply every year following, the standard to be used would be the same as the year installed.

That way if you are planning an installation in 2028 - then you would just need to use edition 28 .

The JPEL comments for the 2025 (25th edition) closed in early March for the edition to be issued by September in order for people to get re-qualified in time for 2025.

It doesn't really matter to me now I have retired, so I didn't bother with comments, the introduction of AFDs on every circuit including retrospective on previous editions seemed excessive, but I am out of the game now, so who cares...

Last edited:
So the process has been taken over by money. BSI/IET get to sell a new book each year. The scams get to charge for update training/recertification each year. The manufacturers get to throw in new expensive requirements each year with, it looks like, little by way of cost/benefit analysis. And for anyone using software for form filling, software uodates to cover the changes.
Winners all round except for the users who have to pay for it all and the sparkies on the front line who have to explain why costs have gone up so much. And on that last bit, will that include ...
Sorry, that new CU I had to fit 2 years ago will need replacing again. New regs, retrospective, and can't fit the new requirements* in your "old" board. Yup, can see that being popular.
* Just going from comment above that AFDD will be required and retrospective.
Going to be an expensive business too - LiVE compact RCBO, CIRCA £10; AFDD+RCBO circa £80. So adding around £500 to a grand to an install for an unquantified benefit.

It make me laugh when the donkey has kicked the door open and run off, why is that the IET works backwards, regarding up dates or other, why don't they think before the new regulations come out and stand over a cyistal ball, they might need that in the future. Or does it take a donkey not to run after the carrot.

Yep.

I started to think “wouldn’t put it past them to make us do courses every year” then I saw the date at the bottom.

I pm’ed HHD when I got it rather than announcing it in thread.

I don’t think Lou has got it yet.

It has gone midday, so I must own up to my foolish prank on April 1st 😀
Took a while to get the letter looking at least half decent.
I hope it didn't scare too many of you 😅
Sorry!
When I first read it this morning I thought what are they doing then I noticed the date

While you may consider it a prank have you thought you are just GIVING THEM and the scams ideas which I'm sure their bean counters would approve of and I wouldn't put it past them to try something like this :)

Reply to 19th edition....................! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net