Discuss 2 way dead test in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, guys, Im an improver and Ive learned 1 year ago a dead test for 2 way switch with feed in light which I used successfully , but now when to put it down on paper it doesnt make sense. If you can figure out with your experience , please shed some light about it, and thank you very much. Practically as I remember I was probing one probing lead to neutral and 1 probing lead with live at the light and switching one of the switches would bell . switching one of the switches again wouldnt bell ... scenario was just like I had normal voltage there sw, light on, sw light off. but if you put down on paper it shouldnt bell anything . Now I work in a 2 way sw with feed in switch and again I can make this test. but why on earth and where it makes a loop as long as Neutral comes on its own and live on its own as well. Did you come accross such a test and do you have any idea how does it happen?
Thank you very much guys

Hi, guys, Im an improver and Ive learned 1 year ago a dead test for 2 way switch with feed in light which I used successfully , but now when to put it down on paper it doesnt make sense. If you can figure out with your experience , please shed some light about it, and thank you very much. Practically as I remember I was probing one probing lead to neutral and 1 probing lead with live at the light and switching one of the switches would bell . switching one of the switches again wouldnt bell ... scenario was just like I had normal voltage there sw, light on, sw light off. but if you put down on paper it shouldnt bell anything . Now I work in a 2 way sw with feed in switch and again I can make this test. but why on earth and where it makes a loop as long as Neutral comes on its own and live on its own as well. Did you come accross such a test and do you have any idea how does it happen?
Thank you very much guys

I don't get what you are on about Irina to be honest, if you are trying to prove that a lighting circuit is dead then go to the nearest point where there is a Line N and a CPC conductor and do your test there L to N L to CPC and carry out the testing as laid out in the best practice guide, OSG Guidance Note 3, I'll post up the procedure for you.
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/editpost.php?p=1184458&do=editpost

Last edited:
Do you mean that you have 2 way switching arrangement with feed and load also at a switch and that you are confirming your switching by belling out between the strappers (one which has feed and the other has load) and trying all switch positions?

I don't get what you are on about Irina to be honest, if you are trying to prove that a lighting circuit is dead then go to the nearest point where there is a Line N and a CPC conductor and do your test there L to N L to CPC and carry out the testing as laid out in the best practice guide, OSG Guidance Note 3, I'll post up the procedure for you.
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/editpost.php?p=1184458&do=editpost

Sorry for my ramble, realised what you were asking about after reading some of the replies

Do you mean that you have 2 way switching arrangement with feed and load also at a switch and that you are confirming your switching by belling out between the strappers (one which has feed and the other has load) and trying all switch positions?

I mean this: 2 way circuit feed in light is wired. the DB not even installed and as a pretest (continuity of cables, same colour coded wires in both switches) I was tought to make the test I described. open one of the lights, keep the probes one in live one in neutral and another coleague to switch on the 2 switches. No bell sound, sw one sw bells, sw any of the other no bell again, sw any of the sw again, it bells

that might be a rough test , but you need to get accurate R1+R2 readings. to do this, you need to measure at the fitting by opening/closing the 2 way switches to get 2 readings ( 1 trough sw1 closed and 1 through sw2 closed, then take the highest for your test result.

That's what it sounds like to me, the o.p mentions that the c.u is not yet fitted. I guess they mean to check to see if the polarity of the 2 way switching arrangement has been correctly connected and the switches operate as they should?

I mean this: 2 way circuit feed in light is wired. the DB not even installed and as a pretest (continuity of cables, same colour coded wires in both switches) I was tought to make the test I described. open one of the lights, keep the probes one in live one in neutral and another coleague to switch on the 2 switches. No bell sound, sw one sw bells, sw any of the other no bell again, sw any of the sw again, it bells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIzBSMjy2I

Reply to 2 way dead test in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net