Discuss 3rd party testing opt out elecsa nic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

just had the rubbish through in connections

here:

3rd party testing opt out elecsa nic Scan0002 - EletriciansForums.net

you probably cant make it out very well....but it basically reads like this:

Third-party inspection scheme rejected
NICEIC and ELECSA will not be operating a third-party inspection scheme, amid fears that it will undermine the work of registered electricians.
In March, the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) announced amendments to the Building Regulations that set out the introduction of third-party certification schemes for electrical work in homes.
The scheme will form part of the amended regulations from 6 April.
However, NICEIC and ELECSA believe the final scheme announced by DCLG falls short of the standards and safeguards that will enhance electrical safety and are unworkable for the trade.
"At the simplest level we do not wish to see DIY-ers carry out potentially dangerous electrical work," said Emma Clancy, CEO of Certsure, which operates the NICEIC and ELECSA brands. "It should be left to competent electricians who will install and test their installations to the wiring regulations."
Under the review of Part P in 2012, third-party inspectors were put forward as a way for
DIY-ers and those not registered with a competent persons` scheme to have their work checked and certified. The inspectors will be registered on a scheme and assessed against published criteria, but the scheme will not be officially accredited.
"As competent person scheme operators, we are united in our belief that the third-party approved inspector scheme in its current guise is flawed.
The review of Part P in 2011 proposed the reduction of notifiable work in dwellings, which we believe has weakened the regulation. Now the third-party inspector scheme undermines the working domestic electrician," said Clancy.
Electrical contractors are also concerned about who is responsible for an installation that has been checked, but wasn`t installed, by them.

OK...so you`v read that...now get this:

Domestic installer plans warning
Plans to overhaul the competent persons` scheme for domestic installers could prove burdonsome for electrical contracting firms.
That is the view of NICEIC and ELECSA in response to Parliamentary recommendations for all domestic electricians to have a qualification equivalent to NVQ Level 3 within the next five years.
"While we welcome many of the recommendations made by the committee, we believe the requirement on all individuals, irrespective of the size of the firm or the work the individual undertakes, to be fully qualified places a huge onus in firms," said Emma Clancy, CEO of Certsure, which operates the NICEIC and ELECSA brands.
"To have all employees up to a qualified supervisor (QS) level will push up costs and reduce the need for apprentices. The industry will suffer in the long term. It is also no guarantee of a rise in standards."
Under the current QS system, which all competent person scheme operators use, a firm must employ at least one qualified supervisor with a qualification equivalent to NVQ Level 3. The QS is responsible for the final checking of work and the sign-off that it has been tested and inspected in accordance with the appropriate standards and regulations.
"The majority of electricians out there, working in people`s homes, are fully qualified and competent to carry out the work required of them," added Clancy.

and here`s some more...courtesy of good old Emms:

Fighting your corner
Thank you to all those that wrote in to "have your say" following the recent Select Committee report. The response was great, with many good points being made by contractors.
Two significant factors particularly stood out: qualifications and retail outlets selling electrical equipment to all.
We firmly believe that while qualifications are important, they are not the defining element of a good electrician.
There are many good electricians who have older qualifications and are perfectly competent. Similarly, there are good electricians who have joined the domestic industry after completing a short course and developed their competence through the acquisition of other skills.
Competence requires a mixture of practical skills, knowledge and up-to-date training. Registered electricians also issue certificates, have insurance and provide guarentees for their work. This complete package is tested at the inspection process each year.
We have been assessing companies for over 50 years and we are very comfortable to stand behind them with a badge of competence. To ask every electrician to go back to college and take more qualiifications is impractical. It devalues the real-world experience these people have to offer in providing safe, compliant installations.
Furthermore, while we combine many elements to certify our registered contractors as competent, many retail outlets still sell electrical equipment to the public.
This seriously undermines the value of a competent electrician and, worryingly, implies that electrical work is within the ability of DIY. Installing items such as distribution boards, electric showers and outside sockets is, in our view, well beyond the competence of DIY-ers.
This situation is made much worse with the introduction of a third-party inspection scheme. This is a huge step backwards for Part P and electrical safety.
As one of our respected customers told me, "I make no claim to be perfect, only a fool would do that. But I do everything I can to ensure the safety of my customers, my colleagues and myself. The answer is to maintain the standards of assessment and target those working outside regulation and not tar everyone with the same brush."
Please be assured we will do as you ask.

Well, if you`v managed to get through all that without falling asleep then some thoughts, comments & opinions would be appreciated:D

Maybe they have rejected it but build control have not. They still accept 3rd Party EICR's for new works. This should stop.

Maybe they have rejected it but build control have not. They still accept 3rd Party EICR's for new works. This should stop.
...It won't stop because there has to be a weak link and precedence has set it there...otherwise BC would issue a LOT less completion certs and the sale chain would have to be greased with a plethora of indemnity provisions etc I know we all like to knock BC and their infantry,but i admit to having more than a little sympathy, nay,admiration for the plight they swirl in...having seen the similar diversions from sense they deal with regarding drainage,foundations,insulation et all,having at least someone competent to inspect the electrical element,must be a blessing. Also,it is one of the parts that can at least be rectified to some degree or other....Brickwork,footings,invert levels....well,your stuck with em' :innocent:

I know of a new selfbuild house near me where the owner approached me asking for a third party test if he and his son did the work,

I said no its not allowed, I'll give you a quote for the whole job if you like

He went away, came back and said ok you can do the CU and heating inc solar thermal controls etc stuff he didn't want to do and I'll give you £800.00

Crafty sod did a bit of research (not enough though) and thought he could get round it this way

I said no chance because I know you won't have done this work to the standard I'd be happy with .....

So he does the first fix and called me to have a look to see if I would change my mind
have to admit I was curious so I went for a nose and as expected it wasn't the best with twisted cables run around heating pipes and no clips used at all , I could go on........

I politely declined stating it was not a good job and he better get plenty of smoke alarms fitted as it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Nearly a year later he told a friend he was chuffed that he'd saved his money by not using an electrician (robbing gits, he said) and he'd found a test cert online and filled it out himself with fictional results as he hadn't a clue what it all meant and building control accepted this and signed the house off.

2 mths later he's finishing off the decorating and there was a fire which started in the cupboard containing the CU

I did have a little laugh as the insurance aren't going to pay for 18k worth of damage as they had the ceiling pulled down to inspect the wiring and also checked the cert and found it to be a load of @$#&

I know of a new selfbuild house near me where the owner approached me asking for a third party test if he and his son did the work,

I said no its not allowed, I'll give you a quote for the whole job if you like

He went away, came back and said ok you can do the CU and heating inc solar thermal controls etc stuff he didn't want to do and I'll give you £800.00

Crafty sod did a bit of research (not enough though) and thought he could get round it this way

I said no chance because I know you won't have done this work to the standard I'd be happy with .....

So he does the first fix and called me to have a look to see if I would change my mind
have to admit I was curious so I went for a nose and as expected it wasn't the best with twisted cables run around heating pipes and no clips used at all , I could go on........

I politely declined stating it was not a good job and he better get plenty of smoke alarms fitted as it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Nearly a year later he told a friend he was chuffed that he'd saved his money by not using an electrician (robbing gits, he said) and he'd found a test cert online and filled it out himself with fictional results as he hadn't a clue what it all meant and building control accepted this and signed the house off.

2 mths later he's finishing off the decorating and there was a fire which started in the cupboard containing the CU

I did have a little laugh as the insurance aren't going to pay for 18k worth of damage as they had the ceiling pulled down to inspect the wiring and also checked the cert and found it to be a load of @$#&

Proper order. As long as no one was killed, maimed or injured, good enough for him.

Professionals are expensive but amateurs are a rip off.

Reply to 3rd party testing opt out elecsa nic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock