Discuss 4 black 4 red wires 1 earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Flumpy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I’m changing a ceiling light that is part of a 3 way switch. Stupidly I didn’t take a photo, I just can’t get it working properly. I’ve put the reds in a box out the way and the earth where that should go, but the 4 black wires are confusing me. Any help would be great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 21
One of the black cables is your switch wire which should have been identified with a red sleeve or red tape

If none of the black cables are marked you will need a multimeter or continuity tester to identify the switch wire

The reds should be connected in the 3 middle terminals of the ceiling rose

Excellent thanks I’ve just bought a tester so I’ll find out the live. I take it the other 3 go in with the blue wire
If you turn the light switch on with your tester set to continuity you should see a low resistance reading and / or the continuity buzzer sounding between the reds and one of the black cables to confirm it is the switch wire turn the switch off and test again unless you have a helper who can operate the switch while you are testing, that black connects to the terminal with the brown wire and as you say the other 3 blacks connect to the terminal with the blue wire

Thank you so much for your help that has worked just fine. The tester is a god send. I’m learning gradually. Thanks again
It's quite simple when you know how to do it although the time saver is marking the wires as you disconnect😀

Reply to 4 black 4 red wires 1 earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have pulled out an old evaporative system I purchased many years ago from storage to have a look at it and see if I can get it running. Was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
I’ve got the following setup on the stairway (picture included) https://pasteboard.co/15IoYrvn2VgA.webp https://pasteboard.co/2UzMaHCbs1iE.webp...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock