Discuss 415v 3 phase sockets and rcd protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m not disputing the need for a plug and socket only the need for RCD protection..
Up until now equipment in this environment hasn’t needed to be considered for RCD protection..

Over the years there have been many things which have changed in the regulations resulting in this same type of situation. Something now needs to be done differently to how it used to be done, why not accept the change as a chance to improve safety rather than fighting against it?

People reacted the same way when RCDs became a requirement for all general purpose socket outlets regardless of whether they could be used outside or not, now everyone just accepts it as the norm. In a couple of years time the general consensus will change and this situation will be accepted as the norm.

The purpose of A Risk Assessment is to identify potential risks and hazards. Then put in place measures to minimise each of the risk’s.

In this case we would have to identifying if there is a risks of HAVING the RCD in circuit in order for there to be a risk reduction in omitting the RCD.

Why are people so dead set against having RCD protection fitted to these socket outlets?

There are very specific circumstances where the 30ma RCD can cause genuine problems. One i deal with regularly is sockets to supply temporary electrical distribution for entertainment ie sound and lighting for festivals. The overall earth leakage of the connected equipment can add up fast without being near 32amp load. These sockets generally connect to portable power distribution that has individual rcbo’s on each circuit. The original proposal to rase the requirements for rcd’s to 63amp where thankfully dropped.

But this is way off topic. Apologies.

There are very specific circumstances where the 30ma RCD can cause genuine problems. One i deal with regularly is sockets to supply temporary electrical distribution for entertainment ie sound and lighting for festivals. The overall earth leakage of the connected equipment can add up fast without being near 32amp load. These sockets generally connect to portable power distribution that has individual rcbo’s on each circuit. The original proposal to rase the requirements for rcd’s to 63amp where thankfully dropped.

But this is way off topic. Apologies.

I work in the same area, theatre and outdoor events. 30mA RCDs don't cause problems, the inappropriate use of them causes the problems.

I can't say I've ever had a problem providing 30mA RCD protection to final circuits.
Problems only happen when people do stupid things like putting distribution circuits on 30mA RCD.

I work in the same area, theatre and outdoor events. 30mA RCDs don't cause problems, the inappropriate use of them causes the problems.

I can't say I've ever had a problem providing 30mA RCD protection to final circuits.
Problems only happen when people do stupid things like putting distribution circuits on 30mA RCD.

Yes exactly. Im talking about the supply socket for the distribution to connect to.

Simple really. Either fit an RCD or the designer conducts a risk assessment, bearing in mind they will have to justify their decision that RCD protection was not necessary, possibly in a court of law, especially if someone was killed or injured as a result of the RCD protection being omitted.

Why are people so dead set against having RCD protection fitted to these socket outlets?

Not dead against. Just accepting that they are not always required and are not always necessary.

For example we install 32A TP+N sockets for retail kiosks on stations. We do not install these on RCDs as they will ultimately be distribution circuits so our risk assessment will insist that the kiosk will have all circuits independently protected by RCDs.

Not dead against. Just accepting that they are not always required and are not always necessary.

For example we install 32A TP+N sockets for retail kiosks on stations. We do not install these on RCDs as they will ultimately be distribution circuits so our risk assessment will insist that the kiosk will have all circuits independently protected by RCDs.
Are you telling us that you get such RAs accepted by National Rail and TFL?

I suggest you read back through the thread from the start!
I have only given constructive advice!
Please prove otherwise..
I have been involved in the installation and repair of commercial catering equipment for 25 years, I am an approved engineer for many brands.
What has been suggested is totally unnecessary..
just because you can’t do something doesn’t mean that it can’t be done, a risk assessment in this instance would be easy enough..
It’s stationary equipment that doesn’t need RCD protection
Are you sure about what you are saying here??
Are you uo to date with BS7671???

I suggest you read back through the thread from the start!
I have only given constructive advice!
Please prove otherwise..
I have been involved in the installation and repair of commercial catering equipment for 25 years, I am an approved engineer for many brands.
What has been suggested is totally unnecessary..
just because you can’t do something doesn’t mean that it can’t be done, a risk assessment in this instance would be easy enough..
It’s stationary equipment that doesn’t need RCD protection
Are you sure about what you are saying here??
Are you uo to date with BS7671???

Reply to 415v 3 phase sockets and rcd protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net