Discuss Adding RCD to existing installation - what options are now allowable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

It sounds to me like this outfit have used an old Minor Works Cert dating back to the 16th edition and therefore not valid. What repairs have been carried out that are noted on this cert btw?
The MWC was for repair of a ring main following a fuse blowing, apparently a fault in a junction box, also replacement of two sockets with faulty shutters. The certificate doesn't detail the exact works, only the fact of the repair and test results following the repair (insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedance).

Tony S

are you sure that cert. says 2001, not 2011?

Def 2001. Here's the certificate with personal information erased. I've chased again for the certificate for the CU replacement, which is what I really want to see ..
ElectricsMWCJan1013cleaned_zpsf1ee28b2.jpg

This guy is not qualified to the current edition of the regs (17th edition) and is still testing to the 16th! He/she has even entered incorrect information on the cert as I've yet to see a BS1362 fuse greater than 13amps.( I'm sure it should read BS3036)

a 30A BS1362 fuse????

but the recommends for sockets and CU are typed. and where will you find a ring main in a house? what the F is EBADOS, is it an old computer op. system?

it's pure mickey mouse, however you look at it.

Thanks everyone. The work was done for us, but sub-contracted by the firm that was doing some building repairs. The CU replacement was his electrician's recommendation following a visit to repair a fault.

Is it quite clear that a CU replacement would need to include RCD protection in order to comply? I wasn't sure on that, after all replacing fuses with MCBs is a step in the right direction even as it stands. It would be helpful if you could point out some regulations to that effect.

Thanks, Tony S

What did the quote from the builder/sparky say? If it clearly stated it would include RCD protection then threaten them with court action - if it was all done verbally - I'm sorry mate but you are on your own.

You do have a quote/estimate/invoice ??

The quote was in writing, but didn't give enough detail in hindsight. I can't tell you how much I'm kicking myself for not dealing direct with the electrician. I should have learned my lesson by now regarding subcontracted work, but the temptation to deal with a single party is always there. Of course the quote didn't say that the installation wouldn't (or couldn't) comply with current standards so I hope that gives me some leverage.

The quote was in writing, but didn't give enough detail in hindsight. I can't tell you how much I'm kicking myself for not dealing direct with the electrician. I should have learned my lesson by now regarding subcontracted work, but the temptation to deal with a single party is always there. Of course the quote didn't say that the installation wouldn't (or couldn't) comply with current standards so I hope that gives me some leverage.

Oops. What did the invoice say? Are you sure a sparky did the work?

Agree, I could well be *****ed. From memory the invoice was along the lines of "consumer unit replacement as quoted", I wouldn't expect any more detail on a fixed price invoice. The detail should have been on the quote, but we are where we are as they say. My plan I think is ...
(1) Chase for the installation certificate. For a start if there's a set of test results that will make me a bit happier in itself. If the certificate quotes out of date regulations, or has any other oddities it might give me some further points to argue.
(2) Make a pitch to the main contractor that his chosen electrician hasn't done acceptable work, and it needs proper RCD protection as required by current requirements.
(3) Be prepared to accept a compromise. Not really thought this through, but I might accept paying parts but not labour. Depends really on how the discussions turn up.

Tony S

Reply to Adding RCD to existing installation - what options are now allowable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net