Currently reading:
Additional sockets in newer houses.

Discuss Additional sockets in newer houses. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bul

-
Reaction score
How would you wire additional sockets in houses that are newer build and furnished.

For example an additional socket in a bedroom. You don't have floorboards to make it easier.

Do you go behind the skirting? Do you slot straps in a stud partition?

I haven't done much domestic in newer houses. There must be common tricks of the trade.

Any advice?:rolleyes4:

you do whatever it takes to make as good, compliant job. if you have to cut weetabix floors, cut them, but allow for the cost of replacing some floor.

Its amazing how architects are paid zillions to design a house and they still cant put enough sockets in. lol

Get a sparks in fella, its not going to cost the earth for a few sockets, its done correctly and the chances are you wont wreck the room as much.

architects... design.... a contradiction in terms there. i wouldn't employ an architect to design an outside bog. probably end up with it flushing upwards as long as it was all curvy and loads of plastic.

Last edited:
Lol, Tel.

Bul, i see from your other posts you do some sparking but with your comment on run behind the skirting i will ignore the fact.
As said above, get another sparks in and you may learn a few tricks that you have not been shown yet.

Yip, thats true.It's the practical side that I have problems with. People don't want the place ripped up or their decoration disturbed, so what appears a simple job isn't necessarily straight forward. . .

Yip, thats true.It's the practical side that I have problems with. People don't want the place ripped up or their decoration disturbed, so what appears a simple job isn't necessarily straight forward. . .

That may be the case that they don't want their houses damaged but what you have done (or taken part in) is no better than a poor diy job. Doing the job correctly is what divides us from cowboys. I retract my statement of you may learn something from the other sparks. Just tell him to check out safe cable zones/routes reg 522-06, it even has a priddy picture to look at and he can colour it in later with his crayon. Sorry Bul but on a electrical site your not likely to get a well done for that one mate.

Please don't think i'm having a go at you fella, its the spark who said it was ok to do it.

Its a sad fact of life. if you are going to install anything onto an existing installation there will be mess and some degree of making good afterward. I have lost count of the amount of times i have had to tell people that if you put a switch on the wall, and a light on the ceiling, it wont work without having wires involved. This applies to all builds, new, old and everything in between.

Cheers.........Howard

what i try to do is site the additional socket/s where the disruption to decor is minimal. for example, you may find a socket on the other side of the wall and drill directly from that.

Without seeing the job its hard to answer, but firstly look around to see if there are any other sockets that you back to back fior example, worst case scenario would be chop the Walls so you can run in safe zones, failing that then if the customer really wanted the extra point, find one that I could extend and run it in trunking where it's not gonna be too intrusive. You can often make a bit of trunking disappear if it's decorated in well

Indeed it is, I used to do the mains supplies to these new blocks of flats that are popping up and I used to think myself that any additional work after they are finished would be a nitemare as there are very rarely any access points to any voids etc to run anything in

Indeed it is, I used to do the mains supplies to these new blocks of flats that are popping up and I used to think myself that any additional work after they are finished would be a nitemare as there are very rarely any access points to any voids etc to run anything in
Agree, and with the amount of insulation everywhere makes it a pain.
Must get back to inventing them bluetooth powered sockets. lol

If a client wants something done then as long as you explain your intentions, and inform them that there may be some mess and patching up afterwards. Most people will be ok with this.

I had to put downlights in a new build house (built 2007/8) it wasn't the easiest of jobs to gain access to the floors as they were all chipboard, but I did it without too much hassle. The most annoying part was putting the floors back down, lots of 4x2 under the floor to support the joints and also inbetween the joists to take the weight - THIS IS A MUST!! As the last thing you want is someone/thing going through the floor!

I always say this to my clients:
"Everything is possible. It just depends on the amount of mess you want to make"

lots of 4x2 under the floor to support the joints and also inbetween the joists to take the weight

just goes to show that these weetabix floors are unsuitable for the job and fitted only as a cheapskate way of boosting the builder's profits.same thing with those horrendous roof trusses.

How would you wire additional sockets in houses that are newer build and furnished.

For example an additional socket in a bedroom. You don't have floorboards to make it easier.

Do you go behind the skirting? Do you slot straps in a stud partition?

I haven't done much domestic in newer houses. There must be common tricks of the trade.

Any advice?:rolleyes4:

I'd get a sparky in - clipping behind skirting would not be in a prescribed safe zone, thats a starter....

Guys
I've learned a lot from this. It isn't enough to go out and "see how its done these days".

Thanks to the forum, I see how things should be done. Every contribution appreciated.

Bul

Reply to Additional sockets in newer houses. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock