Discuss Advice needed about location of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

Went to a job on saturday in rented accomadation, where there landing light was not working. On speaking to the tennant, she explained that an electrican had been around to try and fix the problem already, he had been unsuccessful. He had also stated that the consumer unit needed to be moved. The consumer unit is located in the kitchen above the kitchen units. It is a metal consumer unit(wylex) and is sunk into the wall. I think the house was built in 1995 ish. The consumer unit is not in an ideal location but it is accessable with steps. Moving it would not be an easy job as it looks like the kitchen has been altered around it over the years.

What are the regs or thoughts on whether it needs to be moved. The landlord is dubious as the invoice they have received for not fixing the lights is expensive.

get the landlord to ask the muppet spark for a regulation requiring it to be moved. there isn't one. it's only on new builds where CU positioning is specified.

and he should not pay an invoice for work that has not been done.

how much was the invoice for? i can then price for doing jack ---- and giving out bum advice.

Thanks for the replys,

The invoice was for nearly £400 which included replacing a 2gang and 3 gang switch which they declared to be faulty. Then charged them for investigating the fault after changing the switches did not work. Then it was a faulty junction box in the loft. The acutal fault is a damaged three core cable (2 way) between the two switchs and the cable runs down from the switch not up into the loft. They also left the landing light dissconnected.

Thanks for the advice

tracing the fault to the 3 core cable would take 1 hour, tops. a simple dead test would have found it. obviously they're useless.

Thanks for the replys,

The invoice was for nearly £400 which included replacing a 2gang and 3 gang switch which they declared to be faulty. Then charged them for investigating the fault after changing the switches did not work. Then it was a faulty junction box in the loft. The acutal fault is a damaged three core cable (2 way) between the two switchs and the cable runs down from the switch not up into the loft. They also left the landing light dissconnected.

Thanks for the advice

Charged £400 for changing a couple of switches and not having a clue, but recommended an unnecessary board swap ? Did they charge for the removal of their horse dung and wear and tear on their lassos too ?

Charged £400 for changing a couple of switches and not having a clue, but recommended an unnecessary board swap ? Did they charge for the removal of their horse dung and wear and tear on their lassos too ?
And for new masks!

Is it not possible to get trading standards involved or something? Sounds like this company is the type to prey on the weak. Wonder if his board swaps take 30 minutes and a nice invoice of £1000, but no certs in sight.....

Reply to Advice needed about location of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net