Discuss Am I getting picky? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest111

Well you all know I retired just over a year ago,but you never escape do you?Anyway I still do the odd bit for mates,well recently I'm seeing more dodgy work and it's so annoying.None of use is perfect,we've all done a CU where it could've been a bit tidier or clipped a cable a bit neater,but Saturday took the biscuit.I went to add a couple of camera's in my mate's supermarket it was a conversion of a former labour club done earlier this year,I did the cctv but another bloke did the electrics.Well I lifted up a ceiling tile and got a face full of 2.5 T&E that had been joined with terminal block,then found a disused lighting feed that had just been chopped and left bare ended,the feed to the new DB is in 35 mm swa laid on the ceiling grid with a big loop at the beginning,not a cleat in sight,it must be a good 25mtr run and is lovely and warm!The feeds to the chillers and freezers is in SY,needless to say the braid has not been earthed,and after recently adding some sockets to one of the ring mains he has cut the ring above the DB and extended it with blue through crimps! no enclosure whatsoever just the crimps hanging in mid air.I know sometimes cables can run a bit warm,but considering this was a new feed to a new DB feeding a whole new set of circuits then to me it's just wrong.None of my cables have ever run warm because I take into account the maximum load on the cable and then allow some spare when deciding which size to put in.I've told my mate not to add any more equipment to the system,and am wondering who he's going to be calling first,me or the fire service,considering it has not been overly warm this year so fridges/freezers won't have been working that hard,not to mention he has not really needed his aircon,I dread to think what's going to happen in a hot summer,maybe it's going to get hotter than he ever imagined.

Sounds rough, but there is no concern about the warm cables.
They are designed to run at 70 degrees C, anything approaching 50 degrees is in the 'christ thats going to catch fire', but actually the cable is fine.
50 degrees is around the limit that we can touch things without getting burns, so to us, it feels really hot, but to the cable, it isnt a problem unless it is approaching 70 degrees.

Sounds rough, but there is no concern about the warm cables.
They are designed to run at 70 degrees C, anything approaching 50 degrees is in the 'christ thats going to catch fire', but actually the cable is fine.
50 degrees is around the limit that we can touch things without getting burns, so to us, it feels really hot, but to the cable, it isnt a problem unless it is approaching 70 degrees.
That's exactly my point,you spend years making sure you do a decent job and sometimes feel that you could have done better,maybe a length of tray isn't bang on level or something silly like that,then you come across something like that job and suddenly you begin to realise that your minor hiccups are nothing compared to what some people class as a decent job.My only worry now is how to get out of it when the customer decides he wants more electrical work done,as I know for a fact he's going to ring me instead of this other guy in future.

Well you all know I retired just over a year ago,but you never escape do you?Anyway I still do the odd bit for mates,well recently I'm seeing more dodgy work and it's so annoying.None of use is perfect,we've all done a CU where it could've been a bit tidier or clipped a cable a bit neater,but Saturday took the biscuit.I went to add a couple of camera's in my mate's supermarket it was a conversion of a former labour club done earlier this year,I did the cctv but another bloke did the electrics.Well I lifted up a ceiling tile and got a face full of 2.5 T&E that had been joined with terminal block,then found a disused lighting feed that had just been chopped and left bare ended,the feed to the new DB is in 35 mm swa laid on the ceiling grid with a big loop at the beginning,not a cleat in sight,it must be a good 25mtr run and is lovely and warm!The feeds to the chillers and freezers is in SY,needless to say the braid has not been earthed,and after recently adding some sockets to one of the ring mains he has cut the ring above the DB and extended it with blue through crimps! no enclosure whatsoever just the crimps hanging in mid air.I know sometimes cables can run a bit warm,but considering this was a new feed to a new DB feeding a whole new set of circuits then to me it's just wrong.None of my cables have ever run warm because I take into account the maximum load on the cable and then allow some spare when deciding which size to put in.I've told my mate not to add any more equipment to the system,and am wondering who he's going to be calling first,me or the fire service,considering it has not been overly warm this year so fridges/freezers won't have been working that hard,not to mention he has not really needed his aircon,I dread to think what's going to happen in a hot summer,maybe it's going to get hotter than he ever imagined.
your chained to them cables phil..

its just the way it is....

just tell him if you are going to do work there, you're going to have to sort the bodges out first. then he'll wonder why he didn't have yo do it in the first place.

just tell him if you are going to do work there, you're going to have to sort the bodges out first. then he'll wonder why he didn't have yo do it in the first place.

show it as concern for your friends safety which you obviously have.
and concern that you want his business to be around a while.
good customer relations are an important part of our trade and far too many forget that fact.

assume when you correct it all it will be certed lo

So phil d, what has your mate got to say about it, after all he has paid this monkey for what he i'm sure, will have expected a safe, sound and complying installation??

This isn't a rough job job that you're describing here, it's an abomination of an electrical installation, and one where the general public can be said to be exposed. If this monkey has cut corners in that many places and to that degree, it makes you wonder what else he has done that isn't so readily visible??

Be totally honest with your mate, and tell him not to call you for any alterations or additional work, as you cannot in all honesty have you're name associated with this installation as it presently stands.

thing is....

we see this kind of charlatanism a lot...

joints stuffed or hidden out of sight (out of mind?).....lack of enclosures and equipment suitable for external influences.....

wrong sizing of cable for max demand and length of run....

so on & so on...

simply put it isn`t electricians doing this.....caus any electrician worthy of the title would assess all these factors beforehand on survay.......then design, select and act appropriately...

bloody crap..

thing is....

we see this kind of charlatanism a lot...

joints stuffed or hidden out of sight (out of mind?).....lack of enclosures and equipment suitable for external influences.....

wrong sizing of cable for max demand and length of run....

so on & so on...

simply put it isn`t electricians doing this.....caus any electrician worthy of the title would assess all these factors beforehand on survay.......then design, select and act appropriately...

bloody crap..

Very true, and more often than not, found in most shop fitting installations of old (no idea if that has changed much today) It was one of the most common areas that you found the rogue and cowboy electricians at work!!

Reply to Am I getting picky? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net