Discuss Am i self employed or employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

StuartMcKie

Hi guys i have recently been made unemployed as the company i worked for went into administration. I have since moved to London and this week started work with a recruitment agency.

So the question is am i employed or self employed? because i am working for this recruitment company but i need to get a UTR number to pay tax and NI.

So what i understand is (correct me if i am wrong as i have only ever worked for one company and never had to do this as i have always been employed) at the end of the tax year i must complete a self assessment form.
I will need to keep all Pay slips from this recruitment agency, receipts from tools, work clothing..............

I travel to work using the tube can i claim travel expenses if i keep records of payment for the tube??

One last thing if i only work here say 6 months and then get a job PAYE, i must still fill out the self assessment form but only for the 6 months i worked self employed??

agency work is normally cards in, employed.

It can be a bit pointless, if the job only lasts nine days or something.
I prefer to be Self employed, as there are more expenses that you can claim for.
Such as: traveling (up to 2 years on 1 site), Internet access, mobile phone, laundry and of course tools and workwear.
If you work nights, or are away from home overnight you can claim subsistance.

Reply to Am i self employed or employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all Quick question - I'm going self employed as an Electrician's mate as from the start of November. For this purpose, I'm looking to get rid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m currently in full time employment and want to start doing jobs on the side, obviously non notifiable ones as I couldn’t justify...
Replies
Views
Looking for some business advice. Basically a "Self employed starter kit" things that you need to get to set up on your own, such as public...
Replies
Views
NICEIC Certification Scheme Getting accredited to
Looking for some advice regarding joining a CPS. I've been in the electrical industry in various roles for nearly 10 years. I started my...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've just finished a contract working on a new build where, over the past 13 months, I've learned much of the ins and outs of modern...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock