Discuss Another should i, shouldnt i do the course thread!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

With all due respect you have no idea how far I have to go ;)

So in your eyes Fast track domestic installers forefill all requirements to their job:)

With all due respect you have no idea how far I have to go ;)

So in your eyes Fast track domestic installers forefill all requirements to their job:)
Hey you wanted the start!
As for house bashers, besides the power wiring there is faultfinding, testing and inspection, television networking, telephone networking and home networks. Most aren't taught in school and the most important of the lot, faultfinding can only be taught on site.
I hate fast tracking, its no good for the industry, the employer or the tradesmen.

Last edited by a moderator:
am i right in saying thats ireland.....if so, lol, thanx, but no, i finish work 6am monday!!!
pretty sure that traveling on any wage would see me single and being hit with a repossesion!!!

on another note, thanx for the replies about my actual questions, i didnt wanna just go through the (LANGUAGE PLEASE) with ur quick fix course stuff, believe it or not ive had that off 1 of the other 11 printers in my firm as i run a type of machine after 3yrs training that all the time served take 10-15 yrs to get on and run and earn the money, but all the rest see me being there as a credit to me in how i put my head into the job, the compnay owner took a punt on me as he needed a position filled that day and didnt want a time served progressor, he wanted a person who knew the large type of machinery, and with the help of 2 of the time served guys i kept my head down got through the trial period and now get respect as a printer from al;l but 1 including the owner who was also time served etc, obviously wrioting this as its my best eselling point-i try to explain it to get a position as being very commited and very able and adapt

and i've had very positive feedback from my uncle and the time served sparky's who ive mated for on site doing stuff, hence him offering me a position!

Hey you wanted the start!
As for house bashers, besides the power wiring there is faultfinding, testing and inspection, television networking, telephone networking and home networks. Most aren't taught in school and the most important of the lot, faultfinding can only be taught on site.
I hate fast tracking, its no good for the industry, the employer or the tradesmen

A start in what?

How long do you give your apprentice to learn that then ;)

500 posts !

A start in what?

How long do you give your apprentice to learn that then ;)

500 posts !

A start in the job.

4 Years, although they also have to learn, SWA, MICC, Steel conduit, tray, basket, trunking, and all the associated house keeping, stock management, record keeping and how to make tea.

And congratulations on the post thing.

A start in the job.

4 Years, although they also have to learn, SWA, MICC, Steel conduit, tray, basket, trunking, and all the associated house keeping, stock management, record keeping and how to make tea.

And congratulations on the post thing.

Thanks but I started in 1996 and no offence but domestic does not interest me :) think you may have got me mixed up with the OP lol, interested you still teach MICC though looks like the colleges dont anymore!

501 posts and no sense in any of them!

1996? Bloody newbie. Still use MICC for fire alarms and in filling stations.
And I refuse to buy in pre-manufactured bends although I will allow the use of a 4inch grinder, I am not a total tyrant.
My bestest punishment is to hand over two lenghts of 20mm light guage and make the offender thread them into nipples, which are checked atdays end before being ----ed into the bin, now thats harsh.

i just worked it out, as a mate, i'd get about 285 a week and thats working 5 days, so would have to do evening courses for the 2330, thats less than half what i earn a week now which is accepted, but still even about 165 quid less than what i think i could drop to, is the extra 165 achievable after gaining experiance and qualifying??? how much would a sparky earn!?

Light guage! I only use stainless these days:) and regarding pyro I know its still used im afraid its been scrapped from the AM2 i believe

and before this conversation revolves into a monty python sketch im getting my head down :D

where's the 2330 qualification in this place? i thought that's the one you need before doing any others. if it can take up to 2 years to do at this place you might as well go to college for a 3rd of the price. i've just finished my 2330 L3. ok it's taken 3 years to do but i've got 2330 now. you won't have.the 2392 will take me 10 weeks and 17th will take 3 weeks. if you really wanted you could do these 2 courses in the final year of your 2330.i could of done but personally did'nt fancy work all day then college monday,tuesday and wednesday nights. you may be different though. if you can get work with your uncle and you can afford to live on the wage you'll get as a mate then to be hoinest with you i think you've answered your own question.

good luck with what you decide.

there lies the problem though, if it was a case of being able to do the college for the 2330 then obv it would be worth it for the extra year and saving on the course, but i MUST work on a half decent wage wilst doing it, which is why asking does the fasttrack give the qualifications needed otherwise, the answered on their own seem to easy at the moment, as they all boil down to one thing, MONEY, and if there is no way i could afford to be a mate with time off for college then i'd have to do the fasttrack anyway, but i dont want to waste my time if it wont get me where i wanna be, but sounds slightly appealing if i do it thn gain experience through working as a mate 5 days a week without having to lose any pay to go to college!
same stuff im writing i know, but thanx for providing your opinions and answers as they have left me with some serious choice making to do!

yeah i understand i really do. i'm not dissimilar to you myself. i'm not in the trade and i've done the 2 nights a week college route and am now at the stage where i ask myself do i leave the job i'm doing to become a 31 yr old boy? can i afford to take the drop in wages? or do i go to college and do 17th regs and 2392 and 2391 and part p etc. the biggest problem i have with it all is this NVQ thing. the jib say you need it to be a''qualified electrician''. but everyone you phone to see about work asks ''do you have the 17th edition and 2391''. not a single mention of NVQ.

Is the NVQ not a very ambigous thing?
I got my JIB card from my electricians certificate which came off an NVQ (although its a long time ago now) which in turn was granted off a mixture of my Irish and UK qualifications. In my experience the NVQ is not hard to get.

Have you thought of working with your uncle then look to get a modern apprenticeship, this involves 2330 L2 & L3 and NVQ3 and Keyskills the best part the Gov Pays - wish i had known this two yrs ago would have saved me £800 on course fees for the 2330.
Jas

Reply to Another should i, shouldnt i do the course thread!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net