Discuss Answer found please lock. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Not_A_Clue

Answer found please lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 3 phase electric advice

Hello Everybody, I have been asked by my uncle to find out a few things about 3 phase electric for him as he really cannot get to grips with a computers and as my user name suggests I have no clue so I'm coming here.

Q1 - How does a 3 phase meter figure out the reading from the 3 different load/supplies?

Usually through current transformers

Q2 - How does an out of balance affect the above reading?

Different phases will take a different amount of current

By out of balance my uncle means the 3 different connections coming into the meter being 3 different strengths any help would be great.

Thank you :stooge_curly:

I hope your not planning to do any 3 phase work yourself.

If he's an electrician he would know the answers to the questions...

Basic 3 phase theory:

First you have the red phase, sine waving happily away until along comes the yellow phase a bit late,but soon enough to make motors very unhappy; but then along comes the blue phase just in time to let the red phase know if it,s coming or going, with the yellow phase acting as a catalyst, saying that nobody,s coming, we,re all going.. Suddenly everything changes to brown,black and grey, so now nobody knows if they,re coming or going

My Uncle is the Electrician not me & I wouldn't dare attempt any kind of Electrician work myself. I did try looking for what he needed to know on my own but came up with unbalanced 3 phase is a myth and to work out the figure on the meter you need to be a maths genius :p

You are taught about load balancing and other basic things at college if your Uncle says he's an Electrician he should have all the qualifications and AM2 to boot, having these will show competence on paper understanding what your taught shows competence on site, this is a basic question if your Uncle says he is an Electrician and whats even scarier is he cannot use a computer!.. all sounds a bit of a wannabe Electrician or an old hat who never kept up with the changing regs, either not competent IMHO..... I mean an Electrician who cannot use a computer!!!!... a lot of modern Electrics now involve a certain level of technical know how, be it programming timeclocks to alarm systems at the base levels to PLC programming and drive set-up in Industrial, a computer comes with all the help screens you could ever want nowadays which is a lot easier than some of the instructions you need to follow in our industry.

Basic 3 phase theory:

First you have the red phase, sine waving happily away until along comes the yellow phase a bit late,but soon enough to make motors very unhappy; but then along comes the blue phase just in time to let the red phase know if it,s coming or going, with the yellow phase acting as a catalyst, saying that nobody,s coming, we,re all going.. Suddenly everything changes to brown,black and grey, so now nobody knows if they,re coming or going

I'm coming, oops did I just say that out loud!!

There are children on here young man

The OP has removed his posts :( so I assume we're done here.

Reply to Answer found please lock. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net