Discuss Army Sparkies need more quals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dan59H

Afternoon Gents,

Former Class 1 RE Spark : C&G 2382,236 C, 2391
Binned from Cable Pulling Job halfway through induction because only holding Apprentice JIB card

My thoughts were:

Do I need to sit another AM2? Some people have said that the one we do in engineers is applicable as it can be proven it is the same test.

Do I need to get Part P? Conflicting advice as some say everyone needs it although up to now it's been ok?

I'm planning to get NICEIC registered but would rather do a course first as I don't fancy paying for any re-tests through a lack of knowing something.
Has anyone done one that they'd recommend?

Why are we all here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate,

Part P is not a course, it's part of the building regs that syas that you need to notify certain domestic installations to the local authority. PLEASE don't pay for a course that says you will be 'part p qualified' because there is no such thing.

You pay to be assessed and registered with a scheme (NICEIC/ ELECSA/ NAPIT) to be able to self-certify notifiable works (don't bother).

My advice would be to get your JIB card and go agency while applying for a position with a firm. You say 'another' AM2. If you sat one, then surely that would be enough? You will need the NVQ level 3 though so check out the forum sponsor links for that. Things are changing all the time though.

Feel free to PM me

cheers

Voltz

Afternoon Gents,

Former Class 1 RE Spark : C&G 2382,236 C, 2391
Binned from Cable Pulling Job halfway through induction because only holding Apprentice JIB card

My thoughts were:

Do I need to sit another AM2? Some people have said that the one we do in engineers is applicable as it can be proven it is the same test.

Do I need to get Part P? Conflicting advice as some say everyone needs it although up to now it's been ok?

I'm planning to get NICEIC registered but would rather do a course first as I don't fancy paying for any re-tests through a lack of knowing something.
Has anyone done one that they'd recommend?

Why are we all here?

If you holding those C&G Qualifications, especially the 2360(c) i can't see how you were graded with an apprentice JIB card.
If you have just left the Army, i would get back to them (and whoever deals with armed forces/civilian qualification equivalents) to get this discrepancy sorted out for you.

You need the NVQ3 to get anything other than a trainee card.

I thought it very much depends when you completed your apprenticeship. Was NVQ3's about when the C&G 2360 was the foundation electrical C&G qualification?? I know there was no such NVQ's/AM2s about when i gained my 2360...

Grandfather rights and all that!! lol!!

I thought it very much depends when you completed your apprenticeship. Was NVQ3's about when the C&G 2360 was the foundation electrical C&G qualification?? I know there was no such NVQ's/AM2s about when i gained my 2360...

you need to ring the jib and get them to sought it.

if you did your aprentaship/ qualifications before a certain date you will be given a gold card as you only need the nvq if you got your qualifications after a certain date.

if this was not the case wouldnt every single electrican need retraining every couple years?

I thought there was a limited time you could claim grandfather's rights, which had now expired.

I thought there was a limited time you could claim grandfather's rights, which had now expired.

Someone told you a load of old ----, the grandfather rights might only be called into question if you have not been working as an electricians for more than a set period of time, just as with any professional qualification.

following on from outspokens comment , anyone who completed their electrical training before 1996 does not require the nvq L3 to get a JIB graded card.
there is no time elapse limit to claim under "grandfather rights" , but they will need recent and relevent work experience backed up by a reference.

you need to ring the jib and get them to sought it.

if you did your aprentaship/ qualifications before a certain date you will be given a gold card as you only need the nvq if you got your qualifications after a certain date.

if this was not the case wouldnt every single electrican need retraining every couple years?

That could prove more difficult than first meets the eye. Going by others experience on here and other forums, the general office staff are non-technical and aren't the brightest around.

Far better if this Ex Army lad from the Royal Engineers Regiment can get someone involved on his behalf on an official basis!! I'm sure a MOD official will be able to get more sorted out and quicker, than trying to convince the unbelieving office staff over the phone, that he isn't an apprentice!! lol!!

Reply to Army Sparkies need more quals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net