Search the forum,

Discuss asbestos query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

srb

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this.
I have an old Onyx oven (1992 I think). The element has burned out. After taking the old element off, I noticed some white, fluffy material behind the fan grill. I was concerned that this might be asbestos, though I thought it unlikely - am I right in thinking this.
In addition, one of the fittings for the element has fallen off, when I tried to pull the wire through, I suddenly wondered if it was possible that the wire connecting the mains to the element might have asbestos in it for insulation. Is this possible and is there any way of telling?
Would be really grateful if anyone could give me some pointers.
Thanks in advance.
SRB

I'd have thought it was unlikely to be asbestos, best bet is to talk to the manufacturer, they'll be able to tell you exactly what it is. They'll probably be able to send you whatever fitting it is that fell off too, taking you need a new one and a new element.

is this fluffy substance loose, as i would be very concerd about it ending up in food, even if its not asbestoes.

blue and brown asbestos materials were banned outright in 1985 while the import, sale and second hand reuse of white asbestos was outlawed in 1999.

taken from wiki.

be careful when handling the wires the insulation has glass fibres in it, if it gets in your hands its well painful especially between your fingers
use latex gloves

be careful when handling the wires the insulation has glass fibres in it, if it gets in your hands its well painful especially between your fingers
use latex gloves

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

it actually really hurts doesn't it, glad im not the only one haha. You sometimes, get glass fibres on the outside top of outside distribution boxes....not quite sure why, but they're a complete bitch.

Reply to asbestos query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net