Discuss Average Speed Cameras in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

axel132132

Anyone know what its all about!

I drive at 50mpg through them all the time on motorway and numerous amounts of times i see people FLY past me must be at like 70-80mph.. How do they get away with it what am i missing? Do these only work at certain times? Do they actually work? What am i missing!

Or people are also driving at like 60.. I dont get it

Another one, Variable Speed limit signs on m25.. I kinda drive through them all time at 70 even when they say 50 on sign, never had a ticket dont get them either surely if it says 50.. u have to drive at 50 cos theres cameras??

Not too sure about the average speed cameras.

The M25 variable is designed to slow the traffic to prevent bottlenecks further up the road and in turn prevent the whole lot from grinding to a halt and it works if everyone sticks to the posted limits. There are cameras but only every few gantries and they're the traditional GATSO style ones.

the average speed cameras time you between 2 points, maybe 5 miles apart and work out you r average speed from the time. if you go past the 1st 1 at 70, then do a mile at 40, that should put your average around 50. i'm not going to bother doing all the calculations, i'd be here all day. |LOL.

The average cameras have caught out a guy at our work place, twice on the m25 in one go (6pints on his licience). Some ppl recon if you change lanes as you aproach one it wont focus/read your number plate. But I always play it safe, without a car im effectively out of work.

I can't help but notice how much better the traffic flows in these zones, I'm willing to bet the entire M25 would flow better (and safer) if they were along the whole thing and the adjustments were actually followed

Can't see that happening though, too many people actually take the likes of Clarkson's opinions serious

I believe the Gatso cameras use film and once it's used it stops recording offences. To use a paraphrase Clint Eastwood are you feeling lucky then keep driving through them at 70 one day though you may find one that's working and you get a winning ticket

The average cameras have caught out a guy at our work place, twice on the m25 in one go (6pints on his licience). Some ppl recon if you change lanes as you aproach one it wont focus/read your number plate. But I always play it safe, without a car im effectively out of work.

Agree with the caution but you wouldn't loose your licence if you accumulate too many points if your vehicle is your means to your income and i dont mean driving to work and back, people are out there with 20+ active points on their licence but repeat offenses will have the courts disregarding your career if you push your luck cos you think you cant loose your licence.

i beg to differ on that one dark wood... i know a plumber who went to court and they told him that they no longer consider that as an acceptable means of an excuse..! the judge gave him a 6 month driving ban.

also changing lanes on average speed cameras does not work its a myth! plus you are monitored between start to stop with every individual leg doing a calculation. i know some one who drove through the ones on the A1 upgrade near north yorks at 85mph in a 50 at night. got a court summons from north yorks police and given 6 points at northallerton magistrates with a 300 fine.

I once had a lift with a guy, can't remember where we were but there were average speed cameras. He tore down at 80mph, limit was 50mph, then half way through slowed right down to 30-40 to offset it. I was sitting there quietly thinking this guy is a total plantpot.

Axel132132 I had the same thought as you have been using M6 between Birmingham & Wolverhampton last month or so where there are lots of roadworks and average speed cameras in operation. As these guys fly past me I am thinking they know something I don't or they have some sort of romulan cloaking device that hides them from the law, but from reading this thread realise they are probably being prosecuted.

Im not sure how well some do work tbh. A couple yrs back the ones they had on the m3 heading west from the m25, Id used to go 50 through the camera, but then upto 70 inbetween, and the ones from luton north on the m1, Id go upto milton keynes and back doing the same thing (maybe not as high as 70). But since hearing of the guy at our firm getting done Ive only cruised through (and thats all I mostly do as it saves me quite alot of fuel over the month by not going much over 60mph
)

Agree with the caution but you wouldn't loose your licence if you accumulate too many points if your vehicle is your means to your income and i dont mean driving to work and back, people are out there with 20+ active points on their licence but repeat offenses will have the courts disregarding your career if you push your luck cos you think you cant loose your licence.

if you have mr loophole as your lawyer maybe,but the average working man will get banned,a quick read of any local paper will show that,but the multi millionaire footballers walk away with just a fine because they need a car to get to training to work 2 hours a day...

if you have mr loophole as your lawyer maybe,but the average working man will get banned,a quick read of any local paper will show that,but the multi millionaire footballers walk away with just a fine because they need a car to get to training to work 2 hours a day...
I will also agree with the mister loophole senerio but didnt work for his last client as the goverment is getting wise to his loopholes... what i was saying is if you house, family and everything else rely on your use of a vehicle to pay its way the court cant take your licence away, you are in theory only allowed 12points but i know of reports of people with many points over this and my sources are very close to the judicial system if it is deemed to be just an inconvenience to your life then the ban will be upheld but a local bloke topped 30points in bradford because of this regulation before a public outcry that made sure he was punished like any other hence he now been funded by us the tax payer for his house, kids and his lack of respect for any hard worker or road user makes my urine itch!!!!
Bradford has the highest uninsured drivers in the uk and because im under the post code it adds 200 quid to car insurance even though im in kirklees .... yes a sore point :(

what i was saying is if you house, family and everything else rely on your use of a vehicle to pay its way the court cant take your licence away

i'll remember that the next time im on the drink,will save a fortune in taxi fares...i dont know where you get your info from d,but many a family have suffered from the bread winner losing his licence..

i'll remember that the next time im on the drink,will save a fortune in taxi fares...i dont know where you get your info from d,but many a family have suffered from the bread winner losing his licence..
I think your missing my angle here yes drink and drive get a ban but im on about as the thread original discussion is about speeding, you can accumulate points over the ban limit of 12 but if say your a taxi driver or a delivery driver you can in some cases appeal and avoid a ban if the consequences of a ban will see a large consequences to your family... its not a theory it actually happens...

My sources are family related and for the record my sister is a motorway traffic cop, my bro in law is armed response and my uncle is a judge but as i said i was only commenting on the speeding accumulative points so dosn't apply to other point penalties and driving offenses.

I think your missing my angle here yes drink and drive get a ban but im on about as the thread original discussion is about speeding, you can accumulate points over the ban limit of 12 but if say your a taxi driver or a delivery driver you can in some cases appeal and avoid a ban if the consequences of a ban will see a large consequences to your family... its not a theory it actually happens...

My sources are family related and for the record my sister is a motorway traffic cop, my bro in law is armed response and my uncle is a judge but as i said i was only commenting on the speeding accumulative points so dosn't apply to other point penalties and driving offenses.

my sauces are hp,but id still get banned if i travelled the streets at 100mph,mortgage or not.

darkwood.. you will find as part of the private hire licence agreement and for hire and reward insurance purposes any driver with over 6 point s n license automatically become illegible to continue on the insurance and depending on the private hire licencing authority have to surrender the PH license...!

darkwood.. you will find as part of the private hire licence agreement and for hire and reward insurance purposes any driver with over 6 point s n license automatically become illegible to continue on the insurance and depending on the private hire licencing authority have to surrender the PH license...!

Ill happily stand corrected on that note it was a random guess to who would qualify in my explanation but clearly i made a miscall on that one.

Reply to Average Speed Cameras in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net