Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan - Ducting Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KingKenny

Hi everyone - This is weird - not strictly an electrical question, as I'm comfortable with what I've been asked to do in that area...I've even tested the fan in this job works as expected and it does. Fine.

BUT...

I've been asked to install a number of bathroom extractor fans in an old hotel, but to use the existing ducting. Most modern extractor fans (Manrose, Expelair etc..) appear to have 100mm diameter spigots. BUT ... the existing duct pipes are 6 1/4 inch. I ordered a ducting reducer 150mm to 100mm, expecting the 100mm to fit snugly over the fan spigot, but of course it didn't - they are exactly the same size, hard plastic/PVC. There are some fans that have 99mm spigots, but again, I don't think there will be enough 'give' in the reducer for I to fit, so I'm reluctant to order one.

So, what do I do? I'm missing some basic knowledge here.

Any / All advice welcome

Thank You.

Appreciate we cant see the set up, but would you be able to adapt a 100 mm flexi hose cut to size and used as a sleeve over both 100mm side of adaptor and fan spigot.

What sort of distances are the original ductings that these fans are going to be extracting through, and are 100mm axial fans suitable for this ?

Last edited:
Don't buy a 100mm duct connector as you'll find this is the same diameter as what you've already got. What you need to connect a 100mm fan spigot to a 100mm adapter is nothing more than a short length of 100mm duct. Screwfix/Toolstation et al will sell you a 300mm length for a little over a quid. A few minutes with a hacksaw and a coving mitre block and you'll have a nice little pile of suitable couplers. Tape the joints or, preferably, use sealant and a couple of short self tappers.

And don't use a 100mm axial fan. Waste of time. There's a few decent 100mm centrifugal units available these days.

Don't buy a 100mm duct connector as you'll find this is the same diameter as what you've already got. What you need to connect a 100mm fan spigot to a 100mm adapter is nothing more than a short length of 100mm duct. Screwfix/Toolstation et al will sell you a 300mm length for a little over a quid. A few minutes with a hacksaw and a coving mitre block and you'll have a nice little pile of suitable couplers. Tape the joints or, preferably, use sealant and a couple of short self tappers.

And don't use a 100mm axial fan. Waste of time. There's a few decent 100mm centrifugal units available these days.

at 98mm no they arnt you need to look at the type you get because some are for flex and some are for solid 100mm pipe

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan - Ducting Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net