Discuss Been struggling a bit today! Cat5e SWA in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

After bit of advice please as we don't do much data normally, tend to sub it out.

Had garden building this week which we'd run in SWA cat5e in and decided to terminate and test ourselves.

Put a click RJ45 socket at each end and tests failed, tried with hager RJ45 and same issues.
On closer inspection inner pairs appeared to be slightly thicker gauge.
Think this was stopping them bitting in properly between the blades on back of plate.
Hope that makes sense ?!

Anyone else had this ?
Is it because I was using cheap punch down tool maybe (which works fine for all other RJ45 socket done before) ?

In the end only to get around this was to put RJ45 plugs one each end instead.

Thanks Sy

Cat 5e is normally 24AWG, I've not seen it in other sizes before but it may be that the SWA is slightly bigger.

If it's too big for a Cat5e punch down socket then it will fit in a Cat6 one.

Cat 6 can be 24, 23 or 22 AWG so can be bigger and catch you out with the terminations.

What type of test did it fail and what were the actual test results?
I've only got basic £100'ish tester... which was testing continuity on.
(Tried and tested beforehand to make sure all good on know source.)

Thing is I was getting variety of different readings on both faceplates, even though looked punched in.
Open circuit, then mixture of pairs missing, nothing consistent !

Soon as RJ45 plugs on each end, nice solid connection.

Cat 5e is normally 24AWG, I've not seen it in other sizes before but it may be that the SWA is slightly bigger.

If it's too big for a Cat5e punch down socket then it will fit in a Cat6 one.

Cat 6 can be 24, 23 or 22 AWG so can be bigger and catch you out with the terminations.
Tried both click and Hager as attached.... see click see stamped CAT6, but not sure what hager is rated atIMG_3781.jpg

I've only got basic £100'ish tester... which was testing continuity on.
(Tried and tested beforehand to make sure all good on know source.)

Thing is I was getting variety of different readings on both faceplates, even though looked punched in.
Open circuit, then mixture of pairs missing, nothing consistent !

Soon as RJ45 plugs on each end, nice solid connection.

A lot of issues can be solved by giving the connections an extra push with the back side of a Stanley blade if they haven't quite mates properly.

Reply to Been struggling a bit today! Cat5e SWA in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net