Discuss Here we go again ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Visited my mates place tonight as moved to a new property 2 yrs ago, starts going through the rooms, and wisely leaves the elec alone !

Find a few interesting items in and around such as a fitted wardrobe with 6 big bakelite junction boxes in it before it got ripped out around them ( in a bedroom ! ) then two RCD fused spurs un-labelled found one supplied ensuite underfloor heat mat from other side of room, 2nd one no idea yet. Traced socket found dangling under floor of wardrobes not accessible to find where cable went to ? as was twin socket on landing in stud wall. ( no joy there but have found 5 x T&E's !! 2 x grey 2.5's go downwards ? 2 x whites go upwards and 1 x white also up but due to not fitting through grommet they left the sheath outside the metal back box !! Can't wait to go back and start testing the ring there !!

Next his lady calls me please can you look at the sink I keep getting a belt off it unloading the dishwasher and touching between stainless sink and the inner door skin on brand new Bosch d/w ! my mates there ripping into her and tells me to try. I politely decline and bang my fluke T5-1000 straight onto inner steel of d/w screw and touch on sink 108-110V AC present :sad_smile:

Not liking this already and he's gone very very quiet now. Just out of curiosity I test between d/w inner door and fridge door hinge steel threaded stud and 108V AC there too, then d/w again to copper pipes feeding taps on sink 110V there too. Not cool, Hager rcbo not tripping, locate plug still moulded on d/w to socket hidden below trays of kitchen cleaning gear in cupboard under sink and fitted to cube adaptor ! hate them.

kill the socket and see it's had adaptor stuck into it as socket fitted too low to get flex of plug into socket.
test again on inner door of d/w and 0V between any of the prior metalworks that had a high pd.

Cube was hanging out slightly from socket like trays on top had dislodged it from socket maybe half way could that cause something silly ?

No bonding to copper pipes under sink and looks like all copper throughout best part of house, also seen many issues like this reported with even brand new dishwashers and fixed them years ago for a kitchen company due to the looms running in flex stranded singles through hinged door bottom of inner skin to the point where they just sent out 2 ft plus looms of cables pre fitted with butt splice crimps on each end to crimp them again where door was chafing/cutting them and shorting out !! Even high end kit like Miele had these issues.

I have quite some works to do in the house now and so am thinking go back and start testing R2 with wander lead reel back to CU from the pipework under sink, Zs tests etc.. etc.. RCD tests any other advice regards this anyone has ?? Also heard of pumps in d/w causing intermittent faults or excess leakage but to sink and fridge freezer door hinge etc.. must this be just via the cpc in the socket outlets causing the pd ?

Thanks all.

Systematic is the way to test. You will bog your head down with all your problems.

Start with the 'General characteristics of the installation', then onto the circuit that you know is causing trouble and work your way though them one at a time.
Start with the 'General characteristics of the installation'.

Thanks fellas, yes can see it's going to be a proper trot through as it all looks a proper mess, I keep finding real stinkers of jobs at the moment but then the experience is invaluable.

Thanks fellas, yes can see it's going to be a proper trot through as it all looks a proper mess, I keep finding real stinkers of jobs at the moment but then the experience is invaluaable.

You will find a lot of those job's , especially as the way things are going.

Some of it has been around for years regarding rough installations, but it does seem that faults on recent additions are more prevalent.

Reply to Here we go again ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net