Discuss Being registered............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can only comment on this from a Scottish perspective, but there are a few things where I will add my groat's-worth:
1. Yes, planning permission ignored and extant for over 4 years and very unlikely any action can follow. However the breach must be open and in plain sight.
2. Building Control is quite different. If the design is correct, then a warrant will be issued, even if PP is not forthcoming.
3. Breach of the Building Warrant, or lack of it, will not be defended by passage of time. However, some local authorities will not object if the breach or lack of a warrant is minor and common in the type of properties concerned. Also, some councils just didn't care in the 1980s building boom, and of course there is always the route of a Letter of Comfort, used a lot in Scotland. However, a contract for sale can be nulled if the buyer is not alerted at contract stage, as a buyer is not obliged to accept a Letter of Comfort or an indemnity policy. However, they will usually accept the latter, but can reject either if they decide not to proceed.
4. None of the above relates to electrical installations which may have been altered through the years.
5. Indemnity policies are a useful tool, but as stated above, they don't cover rectification. Many such policies are almost worthless. The insurers usually need you to contact them first, without enquiring of the local authority beforehand, so as to reduce the likelihood of the LA investigating. This is a judgement call for the solicitors and their clients and is too complicated to go into here.
6. It is very unusual to ask for electrical certificates in house sales here. The replacement of windows is seen as a major problem by some LAs.
7.I had another point to make on this, but it's escaped me!
8. On the subject of the gender of plugs and sockets, I truly feel that anyone being critical of a history of nomenclature needs to find another hobby. I have a power lead on my desk for a classic Hacker radio. The original "hole" or "socket" on the radio has a "centre negative", whereas the replacement external supply has a "centre positive" so I bought a cable which reverses this, so the new power supply works fine. I have labelled it, as is a common term, with "gender bender" to remind me of its purpose. I would stress that I have no problem with people identifying as a different gender, changing gender, being unsure...but i do find it tiresome that I have to sift through all the options on some official forms. If you recently filled in a Passenger Locator Form to re-enter the UK you will have seen an array of options under the "gender" tab. All fair and good. However, if you want to travel to Spain, the same form asks if you are male or female ...that's your choice, no further options. Why? I don't know. I think it's because the authorities need to have a clear line to differentiate between genders in the event they have to contact you re a Covid problem, which, after all, is the primary purpose for the form. I don't think the Spanish are discriminating against anyone, they just need to know that if they are looking for someone who may be infected, they can discount 50% of people purely by a visual. It may also be due to not being familiar with British names. Lesley or Leslie? Robin or Robyn/Robin Lindsay or Linsey or Lindsey, and loads of other unusual names like Brooke Chelsea Shania Tyrone...how do our foreign friends know which gender is normally represented by such forenames? After all, Joan is quite a normal name for a Spanish chap.

Reply to Being registered............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net