Discuss Best electrics for a hot tub outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leeds2020

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I want to connect a hot tub outside on the patio. It is a plug and play with a standard 13 amp plug. It is around 10m away from the house. I have been told it draws around 7 amps when all equipment turned on. Is it best to connect an outside socket somewhere near using 2.5mm twin and earth cable with two cables back to the ring main or 1 armoured cable as a single spur from the closest ring main

Hello, I want to connect a hot tub outside on the patio. It is a plug and play with a standard 13 amp plug. It is around 10m away from the house. I have been told it draws around 7 amps when all equipment turned on. Is it best to connect an outside socket somewhere near using 2.5mm twin and earth cable with two cables back to the ring main or 1 armoured cable as a single spur from the closest ring main
As long as the socket you are spurring from is not already a spur in itself, I would go with the SWA method. the first option is difficult to comprehend "2 cables back to the Ring Main" remember to to alow for RCD protection, if you are not sure get a pro in to do it for you, that will save you the hassle of notification and certification, in my opinion anyway good luck.

It would be good to have it on its own separate circuit so that in worst case scenario if your exterior socket let in water it would trip its own individual rcbo rather than taking out your socket circuit, however this can also be achieved by fitting a double pole switch before the socket to isolate it in the event of a fault. But both options are technically fine.

Reply to Best electrics for a hot tub outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
Replaced our old 240v hot tub with a new one, which also uses 240v for motors, heater, etc, and 120v for low amp LEDs and touch screen control...
Replies
Views
Ok i may get slated for this one but here goes; A bit of background info first. Its been a while since ive looked at my iee regs, and ive not...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys So I've never installed a hot tub supply before so take it easy on me. I've spent a bit of time researching it myself and its a minefield...
Replies
Views
I have taken delivery of an undersink water heater. It is fitted with an RCD on the electrical supply cable which terminates with a euro-plug. I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock