Discuss bit of advice pls, wireless remote switch for swimming pool heating system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can I pick your collective brains please for a slightly odd situation I'm struggling to find a solution for.

Essentially a customer of ours has a swimming pool in an outbuilding a few yards from the house, but with a solid patio between the 2 that I'm not wanting to dig up if I can avoid it.

Basically their heating and electric bill is horrendous, mostly from heating the air in the swimming pool on a timer.

I've suggested we fit a remote switch in the house to allow them to switch the air heating on a few minutes before they actually want to have a swim, which I reckon will save them hundreds a year in only heating the pool room for a couple of hours a day when in use instead of the 10 hours a day it's currently timed for in case they want a swim.

problem is that I can't actually seem to find a suitable wireless remote switch relay system - I've seen a few options that need direct line of sight, but nothing that will penetrate a wall (it has to go through the wall into the plant room).

I did try to get them to let us just fit a switch in the pool house, but they weren't having that, so I'm back to trying to locate a suitable wireless remote switch relay system.

If anyone could post a link, or make of any suitable systems you're aware of it'd help a lot as I'm running out of ideas and google and city seem to be stumped.

I think the maximum load to be switched should just be a few hundred watts for the pump and boiler circuit - well under 500W anyway.

Can't remember what they're called, but Maplin are doing a range of home automation RF switches etc that have around a 30m range and are not inexpensive. You could always combine one with a contactor if needs be.

hmm... I tried in Maplin, but I think at the time I was also thinking about incorporating a timer, which I now think is a complication too far.

I'll have another look thanks.

yeah anything like that would do it.

I have found some stuff but it was all based on switching 13 amp sockets, whereas I want it to be switching a din rail mounted contractor ideally, though I could consider wiring in a socket system if that wasn't available I suppose.

Reply to bit of advice pls, wireless remote switch for swimming pool heating system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net