Discuss BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The manufacturer of the car will specify what type of RCD is required.
Usually its a A type for anything up to 32amp. With larger and 3 phase charging point usually require a B type RCD.

If you using a 13amp socket I'd protect it by a A type RCD the charging lead will have a inline RCD too.

Last edited:
You can charge a Tesla from a 13amp socket my friend has one but I believe it took him around 24 hours to fully charge the car

I installed a IP65 32amp interlocked socket for him with a Separate earth electrode.
The data sheet from Tesla specified a A type RCD.

Not all BS 1363-2 socket outlets are suitable for EV charging.
BS 7671 Sect 722:
722.55 Other equipment
722.55.101 Socket-outlets and connectors

722.55.201.1 Each a.c. charging point shall incorporate:
  1. (i) one socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2 where the manufacturer approves its suitability for use, or...
BS 1363-2:2016
1 Scope
Additional requirements are included for socket-outlets suitable for electric vehicle charging.

So ideally the EV charger plug top should be a suitable RCD type and not the building circuit protection?

Usually its a A type for anything up to 32amp. With larger and 3 phase charging point usually require a B type RCD.

If you using a 13amp socket I'd protect it by a A type RCD the charging lead will have a inline RCD too.
Thanks, this starts to make more sense! So the charger incorporates a (presumably type B) RCD, and a type A is installed in the circuit for a socket routinely used for charging as an extra precaution.

I think I will quote assuming type A, but tell my customer that I've made some assumptions and will need to verify these prior to confirming the price and commencing work.

Thanks, this starts to make more sense! So the charger incorporates a (presumably type B) RCD, and a type A is installed in the circuit for a socket routinely used for charging as an extra precaution.

I think I will quote assuming type A, but tell my customer that I've made some assumptions and will need to verify these prior to confirming the price and commencing work.

1. (i) one socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2 where the manufacturer approves its suitability for use, or...

I took that to mean 'where the manufacturer of the vehicle/charger approves the use of a BS 1363-2 socket', not 'where the socket manufacturer approves the use of the socket for car charging'. This has been removed from the 18th ed. which perhaps supports my interpretation? After all, why would a charger be made with a BS1363 plug if the manufacturer did not approve its use with a BS1363 socket? Perhaps the IET realized this and decided to take it out.

BS 1363-2:2016
1 Scope
Additional requirements are included for socket-outlets suitable for electric vehicle charging.
I don't have a copy of BS1363, so can't look up what the additional requirements are. I'm wondering if it might be DC rated switching, and if so whether an unswitched socket might be better. Probably something else to read around.

So ideally the EV charger plug top should be a suitable RCD type and not the building circuit protection?
This would seem to me to make a lot more sense. I mean none of us know what will be invented in 50 years time and plugged into the sockets we are fitting now. So surely the onus should be on the charger manufacturers to make them safe to use with the sockets that are dimensionally compatible with the plugs they are fitting :mad:

@Selfmade Im only going on Tesla, I was helping out a friend as the Tesla was a new company car, I havnt done the course but im aware of the different types of RCD so got my friend to email Tesla for specifications.
They emailed a sheet which specified I needed a A type RCD for 230v 32amp charging, which they refered two as "type 2 charging"
Rapid charging which was a 32amp 3 phase required a B type RCD.
The car came with pre made leads. 16 amp and 32 amp these had inline RCD on the lead.
It also came with a 16 to 13amp adaptor similar to shown in the picture i googled below.

BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? teslacablesba - EletriciansForums.net
This is the only experience I have !

This artical from the IET probably explains RCDs in more depth. Someone posted this here last year.
RCDs: everything an electrician should know - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/68/rcds-everything-an-electrician-should-know/

Last edited:
I took that to mean 'where the manufacturer of the vehicle/charger approves the use of a BS 1363-2 socket', not 'where the socket manufacturer approves the use of the socket for car charging'. This has been removed from the 18th ed. which perhaps supports my interpretation? After all, why would a charger be made with a BS1363 plug if the manufacturer did not approve its use with a BS1363 socket? Perhaps the IET realized this and decided to take it out.

I don't have a copy of BS1363, so can't look up what the additional requirements are. I'm wondering if it might be DC rated switching, and if so whether an unswitched socket might be better. Probably something else to read around.

The requirement in BS 1363-2 is that the socket must carry the required elevated levels of current for a prolonged period without showing any deterioration, and that it must do this for many more cycles of current than a "normal" socket, and must thus be marked /EV on the rear.
A "normal" BS 1363-2 socket outlet of any form without /EV would not be acceptable for use for EV charging, and would thus be used outside of it's design criteria. Thus outside the scope of it's product approval.

Oh, by the way it has not, been taken out, it has been aligned with BS 1363 as follows:
722.55 Other equipment

722.55.101.0.201.1 Each AC charging point shall incorporate:

1. (i) one socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2 marked ‘EV’ on its rear and, except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label shall be provided on the front face or adjacent to the socket-outlet or its enclosure stating: ‘suitable for electric vehicle charging’, or...
Not many would have a copy of BS 1363-2, which is why I posted the quote from it for you!
The work I mostly do now means I have to have access to hundreds of standards and 1363-2 is one of those I need to have access to.

@Selfmade Im only going on Tesla, I was helping out a friend as the Tesla was a new company car, I havnt done the course but im aware of the different types of RCD so got my friend to email Tesla for specifications.
They emailed a sheet which specified I needed a A type RCD for 230v 32amp charging, which they refered two as "type 2 charging"
Rapid charging which was a 32amp 3 phase required a B type RCD.
The car came with pre made leads. 16 amp and 32 amp these had inline RCD on the lead.
It also came with a 16 to 13amp adaptor similar to shown in the picture i googled below.

View attachment 43819
This is the only experience I have !

This artical from the IET probably explains RCDs in more depth. Someone posted this here last year.
RCDs: everything an electrician should know - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/68/rcds-everything-an-electrician-should-know/
Thanks for the very useful info, link, and picture! I might check with the customer if his car comes with a Commando plug. If it does, I might suggest installing a socket for this as the consensus seems to be that these cope better with the sustained high current (as one might expect).

The requirement in BS 1363-2 is that the socket must carry the required elevated levels of current for a prolonged period without showing any deterioration, and that it must do this for many more cycles of current than a "normal" socket, and must thus be marked /EV on the rear.
A "normal" BS 1363-2 socket outlet of any form without /EV would not be acceptable for use for EV charging, and would thus be used outside of it's design criteria. Thus outside the scope of it's product approval.

Oh, by the way it has not, been taken out, it has been aligned with BS 1363 as follows:
722.55 Other equipment

722.55.101.0.201.1 Each AC charging point shall incorporate:

1. (i) one socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2 marked ‘EV’ on its rear and, except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label shall be provided on the front face or adjacent to the socket-outlet or its enclosure stating: ‘suitable for electric vehicle charging’, or...
Not many would have a copy of BS 1363-2, which is why I posted the quote from it for you!
The work I mostly do now means I have to have access to hundreds of standards and 1363-2 is one of those I need to have access to.
Thanks very much for this very useful information! Looks like I will be looking for an 'EV' marked socket or else a Commando socket.

If you can't justify the cost don't do the job.
As I understand it the CoP is not mandatory in the way British Standards are - in time I will buy it to help with best practice, but for now I just wanted advice on how to implement the relevant parts of BS 7671 in practice. Thanks for your input anyway.

As I understand it the CoP is not mandatory in the way British Standards are - in time I will buy it to help with best practice, but for now I just wanted advice on how to implement the relevant parts of BS 7671 in practice. Thanks for your input anyway.

British Standards are not mandatory, HASAWA, & EAWR are the ones you need to worry about.

British Standards are just industry approved and written codes of practice, the EV CoP is just an industry body CoP, so neither are mandatory.

If you are being prosecuted then if there is an easy map to one of the statutory regulations in HASAWA or EAWR, then you'll be done under that, evidence that you were negligent would come from ACoP's (published by HSE), British Standards as guidance on minimum levels of what is required, then industry CoP's like the IET EV guide would be used to illustrate that which you should have done as a minimum as you are supposed to be competent and skilled in the area of work.

As I understand it the CoP is not mandatory in the way British Standards are .

The cop is non statutory the same as bs7671, but I have done the ev charger course and there are issues that need to be taken into account.
The reason I did the course was I was approached to fit a charger for a customer and I didn't know the extent of my ignorance.
Really pleased I took the course as there is so much more to ev installations than I thought.
Seriously please do the course first.

Reply to BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock