Discuss BS 7671 17th Edition Wiring Regulations - Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GLAES LTD

Hi,

I was just talking to a client today and he said he heard that this year we will have the second amendment for the BS 7671.He also said that the third amendment is already being planned for 2015. Do you know anything about it?

I had enough about upgrading the books I have.

Thank you!

There has been some talk about either an amendment or new standard for microgeneration.
Not aware of any particular date as yet, other than for the new edition which appears to be set for 2018, at present.

Flipping heck...at this rate I think I'll be spending about as much on "amendments" and "updates" as I will be paying the wholesaler....
I'm at the stage, give me the option to pay for an E-version with free upgrades until the new edition arrives. Saves carrying round a book and when the "update" arrives, text updates itself automatically or you just download the new PDF/Ebook etc......
Would also mean you could just search for whatever your looking for, handy especially for something obscure or something you rarely do - e.g. mechanical protection rules for installations involving livestock (or however they word the section)

Flipping heck...at this rate I think I'll be spending about as much on "amendments" and "updates" as I will be paying the wholesaler....

Of course thats the men in suites who need a reason for having the Job, they get told funds are tight so invent another reg so all real sparks get conned into buying another 70 quid regs book, add them up by 200,000 and theres a few million for the Organisation, Job done another bullSh1t reg and another hole in the pocket, I keep all my old reg books and GN books, I haven't the heart to throw them out due to a new reg being added, heart breaking.

Amendment 2 has been out a while, and it is very minor, free to download from the IET, thats the good news.

Now the bad; Amendment 3 is out next january and we will have to apply it from July 1st 2105, the new book is Yellow. There are some significant changes hence the new regs book. So that means all new OSG and Guidance notes etc. My feeling is that there will be a one day update course as well, but i haven't heard anything concrete so don't quote me.

Cheers..............Howard

Had a quick look through the search engine, and can't see anything else that really mentions the new ammendment thats coming out next month, so apologies if theirs something somewhere more up to date than this.

Anyway, ive been told that the new regs will be coming out on Jan 1st 2015 ... a nice new £70 yellow book, that won't come into law untill July so we have a 6 month cross over ... the 1st January date is mainly for designers as regards to the new zs's ect..

Anyway, i don't know that much ... but i have heard a rumour that all CU's on new builds have to be metal? And that the biggest change is the Zs values ... ?

Now don't take this as gospel its just what i've heard from my ex lecturer whos now back on the tools. This is more of an inquiry too see if any of you guys know anymore or if what i've said is true ?

Had a quick look through the search engine, and can't see anything else that really mentions the new ammendment thats coming out next month, so apologies if theirs something somewhere more up to date than this.

Anyway, ive been told that the new regs will be coming out on Jan 1st 2015 ... a nice new £70 yellow book, that won't come into law untill July so we have a 6 month cross over ... the 1st January date is mainly for designers as regards to the new zs's ect..

Anyway, i don't know that much ... but i have heard a rumour that all CU's on new builds have to be metal? And that the biggest change is the Zs values ... ?

Now don't take this as gospel its just what i've heard from my ex lecturer whos now back on the tools. This is more of an inquiry too see if any of you guys know anymore or if what i've said is true ?

Are you registered blind?

They will never come in to law unless you’re a Electrical Trainee. They’ll believe anything you tell them.

The book is titled Requirements for Electrical Installations, it is not statute and therefore not law.

We won’t. Most lecturers talk out of their arse.

And that the biggest change is the Zs values ...

How are they going to change Zs values further?? They have already added an artificial element as a temperature compensation in OSG or GN. I've never used those values for typical installations, i can only see a use for them in say a foundry or other similar high ambient environment, so i suspect i won't be using any new fiddle they now want to apply either...

According to the IET they are introducing a Cmin derating factor to compensate for variations in voltage. This will reduce max Zs values to 95 percent of their current values.

According to the IET they are introducing a Cmin derating factor to compensate for variations in voltage. This will reduce max Zs values to 95 percent of their current values.

What values, ....those given in BS 7671 or those already with a derated Temp factor in one of the picture books??

Where were all these so-called compensating derating factors for the last 40 or so odd years?? I'll tell you, they were applied as and when they were needed by Engineers, Technicians and Qualified Electricians, that knew what they were doing and why, not by a cover all value that makes no sense to the vast majority of installations that most of you will ever come across...

I'm at the stage, give me the option to pay for an E-version with free upgrades until the new edition arrives. Saves carrying round a book and when the "update" arrives, text updates itself automatically or you just download the new PDF/Ebook etc......
Would also mean you could just search for whatever your looking for, handy especially for something obscure or something you rarely do - e.g. mechanical protection rules for installations involving livestock (or however they word the section)

I have some pdf documents e.g. bs7671 & osg. The osg is just about searchable and t'other is so slow it's quicker to search in the tangible edition. Handy to have on a phone if you know what page you're looking for (it will jump to a page number). I haven't found a way of indexing a pdf but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.:santa1: Merry Xmas...

What values, ....those given in BS 7671 or those already with a derated Temp factor in one of the picture books??

Where were all these so-called compensating derating factors for the last 40 or so odd years?? I'll tell you, they were applied as and when they were needed by Engineers, Technicians and Qualified Electricians, that knew what they were doing and why, not by a cover all value that makes no sense to the vast majority of installations that most of you will ever come across...

It's another derating factor so whatever anyone is using to work out max Zs at present it will need to be applied if you wish to work to 7671.

I thought the book only changed colour with a new Edition not a new Amendment. 3 Amendments in an Edition?

I feel old, when i started on here you lot were all about the BRB i learnt from the BGB and now were are on to the BYB!

Those given in BS7671.

IMG_0420.JPG

Faded orange was (or is) my first.....can't remember how much I paid, though it'd be interesting to know.

Reply to BS 7671 17th Edition Wiring Regulations - Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net