Discuss BS3871 on EICR classifiaction code? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have searched for an answer to this question but to no prevail.

BS3871's.... should these be changed? I have just done an EICR on a board with these and no RCD for lights serving bathroom but it has an RCD protecting all sockets, shower and the cooker circuit... now I have given 2 x C2 codes because 1 the RCD doesn't trip in the allowed time and 2 for no RCD protection or supplementary bonding etc for the lights in bathroom

BUT hypothetically... if it was all protected by a fully working RCD would I be ok in saying BS3871's are ok still? Or does it need to comply with regards to disconnection times? If so where do I find these disconnection times?

Thanks in advance

I have searched for an answer to this question but to no prevail.

BS3871's.... should these be changed? I have just done an EICR on a board with these and no RCD for lights serving bathroom but it has an RCD protecting all sockets, shower and the cooker circuit... now I have given 2 x C2 codes because 1 the RCD doesn't trip in the allowed time and 2 for no RCD protection or supplementary bonding etc for the lights in bathroom

BUT hypothetically... if it was all protected by a fully working RCD would I be ok in saying BS3871's are ok still? Or does it need to comply with regards to disconnection times? If so where do I find these disconnection times?

Thanks in advance
I believe BS3871s are still considered compliant. You'll find max Zs and other info for these in the current on site guide.

Surely if the lighting in the Bathroom is above 2.25m no RCD protection, CPC in place, its no code?
True, but irrelevant. If no RCD was required when it was installed, then it's a C3.
You test to the current regs. Anything that doesn't meet the current regs, but met the regs. in force when it was installed is a C3*. Anything that doesn't meet the current regs, and didn't meet the regs in force when it was installed is a C2.

* I'm referring to 'modern' wiring, not stuff installed pre '50's, so please don't bring up fused neutrals.

So are you saying if it’s above 2.25M in bathroom and has no RCD protection and no supplementary bonding that is a no code?

obviously C3 for no RCD on lighting in general, but the bathroom requirement I would have put at C2.

this is a question not a disagreement.

Reply to BS3871 on EICR classifiaction code? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net