Discuss Building a bespoke brewery control panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Capn Ahab

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please advise if not.

A client I have done some work for runs a brewery supply company, mainly dealing in vessels, pumps etc, and has asked me to build a control panel to run elements and pumps off PIDs and SSRs as he has a customer that needs one. It might just be a one-off or there might be demand for more.

I have looked at gov.uk guidance about manufacturing electrical equipment and aside from the obvious needs to have an earthed enclosure etc, everything seems geared towards having a CE mark to demonstrate compliance with current safety standards.

My question is, do I need to go for the whole shebang and do a technical document + declaration of conformity + CE marking for a one off piece of equipment? Especially since, most, if not all of the components will already be CE marked and the panel will be a fixed unit with a permanent supply?

My client seems to think a PAT test would be sufficient, but I'm not sure...

Additionally, how does the CE marking requirement apply to refurbished or reclaimed light fittings?

I think if I was doing the install as well the question would be moot, as the CE marking on each individual component + the installation certificate would suffice, but it's essentially an off the shelf piece of kit that I've been asked for.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the right people to ask these questions I'd be most grateful!

Thanks

Yes, all technical documentation and all the other stuff needs to be done. Doesn't matter is you are supplying 1 or 10 panels.
Look on the bright side. If the customer orders another panel then the paper work will be easier.

Make sure you are aware of any safety equipment and potential dangers.
You need correct guarding and e-stops etc.
Understand what safety level these need to be and also as its food related you will need stainless steel enclosures and look into what you can and can't use switch/button wise on the front.

I'm not sure it will be as complex as "sil level" controls but I'm assuming it's basic stop start rather than entire process control.?

Lay out in your head the process from start to finish and regardless of the system works or not it must be SAFE plan your e-stop positions guard or door monitoring systems etc etc.

Might originally sound simple but to do it right you may need more than you think

Lay out in your head the process from start to finish and regardless of the system works or not it must be SAFE plan your e-stop positions guard or door monitoring systems etc etc.

Best if he does it on paper. Text or flow charts, whichever suits you. Then you can use it for your spec.

I'm building one now funnily enough....on a home brew scale though and in my garage.

8eb17b93da8e14ea3afdfb5c3d8dfd0d.jpg

db9df93b252ff55f74ec17593c0443f1.jpg

This is just the back plate, no PID controllers shown as they will be in the enclosure door.

And obviously I've made up my own colour scheme before somebody copy's paragraph out of 60204

http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6304#p128663

Last edited:
I have a set of drawings in eplan that could be adapted to any system HERMES, RIMS or whatever.

Who are you doing it for? Brewbuilder? Brew UK?

Whoever it is, you won't make them cheap enough I'm afraid as the average 'Brewer' is tighter then me at Xmas.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please advise if not.

A client I have done some work for runs a brewery supply company, mainly dealing in vessels, pumps etc, and has asked me to build a control panel to run elements and pumps off PIDs and SSRs as he has a customer that needs one. It might just be a one-off or there might be demand for more.

I have looked at gov.uk guidance about manufacturing electrical equipment and aside from the obvious needs to have an earthed enclosure etc, everything seems geared towards having a CE mark to demonstrate compliance with current safety standards.

My question is, do I need to go for the whole shebang and do a technical document + declaration of conformity + CE marking for a one off piece of equipment? Especially since, most, if not all of the components will already be CE marked and the panel will be a fixed unit with a permanent supply?

My client seems to think a PAT test would be sufficient, but I'm not sure...

Additionally, how does the CE marking requirement apply to refurbished or reclaimed light fittings?

I think if I was doing the install as well the question would be moot, as the CE marking on each individual component + the installation certificate would suffice, but it's essentially an off the shelf piece of kit that I've been asked for.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the right people to ask these questions I'd be most grateful!

Thanks
Bespoke and off the shelf seem like contradictory descriptions.
If it is bespoke or custom built then yes, you will need the documentation.

Yes, all technical documentation and all the other stuff needs to be done. Doesn't matter is you are supplying 1 or 10 panels.
Look on the bright side. If the customer orders another panel then the paper work will be easier.

Nice concise answer, ta very much. Not entirely unexpected either...

Make sure you are aware of any safety equipment and potential dangers.
You need correct guarding and e-stops etc.
Understand what safety level these need to be and also as its food related you will need stainless steel enclosures and look into what you can and can't use switch/button wise on the front.

I'm not sure it will be as complex as "sil level" controls but I'm assuming it's basic stop start rather than entire process control.?

Might originally sound simple but to do it right you may need more than you think

Was planning a key switch that also gives access to the guts of the panel, and an emergency stop behind that.

Not sure it needs to be stainless as it is homebrew level I am told.

I am laying the whole process out on paper, don't worry!

Bespoke and off the shelf seem like contradictory descriptions.
If it is bespoke or custom built then yes, you will need the documentation.
Fair point. It's bespoke in that the customer will determine how many pumps/elements etc. I was trying to make a distinction from say an empty DB that you populate on site to suit the job, but yeah it's not off the shelf like you say.

Your original post makes it sound like its more than a homebrew level project.

"A client I have done some work for runs a brewery supply company, mainly dealing in vessels, pumps etc, and has asked me to build a control panel to run elements and pumps off PIDs and SSRs as he has a customer that needs one. It might just be a one-off or there might be demand for more."

Your original post makes it sound like its more than a homebrew level project.

"A client I have done some work for runs a brewery supply company, mainly dealing in vessels, pumps etc, and has asked me to build a control panel to run elements and pumps off PIDs and SSRs as he has a customer that needs one. It might just be a one-off or there might be demand for more."
It is apparently

Has the client given you a spec yet?

I have a set of drawings in eplan that could be adapted to any system HERMES, RIMS or whatever.

Who are you doing it for? Brewbuilder? Brew UK?

Whoever it is, you won't make them cheap enough I'm afraid as the average 'Brewer' is tighter then me at Xmas.

Lol. Brewbuilder, and it won't be cheap!!!!!

I'm building one now funnily enough....on a home brew scale though and in my garage.

8eb17b93da8e14ea3afdfb5c3d8dfd0d.jpg

db9df93b252ff55f74ec17593c0443f1.jpg

This is just the back plate, no PID controllers shown as they will be in the enclosure door.

And obviously I've made up my own colour scheme before somebody copy's paragraph out of 60204

The Brewing Forum ? View topic - The new build has begun.

Very nice ! Ive seen that thread before, I pop into that forum very occasionally. I'm strictly a kit in a bucket kind of guy myself though. No time, room, or dough for anything more.

Last edited:

Reply to Building a bespoke brewery control panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net